We looked for him on Netflix, but he’s coming to Disney+ instead. Amongst the trio of new live-action shows announced for the streaming platform at D23 was a stalwart of the “Marvel Knights” style of heroes: Moon Knight!
Peggy Carter is your Captain now.
The Disney+ showcase on Friday at D23 Expo was full of series announcements for the new streaming platform, and the second half of the presentation was dominated by updates to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 television shows. Highlights of those updates are below.
Even though it’s still one year away, Disney and ABC revealed a trailer for the next and final season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at D23 Expo!
Some people love birds. Some people bird watch, or even have birds as pets. And we’re sure they’re lovely birds. But we really wish we had magic birds. That’s the goal, right? We maybe think about this too often. So here is our ode to fantasy birds!
Hot on the heels of the Charlie’s Angel remake, we’re being blessed with yet another promising movie featuring a team of women saving the world and kicking butt in the upcoming thriller 355. [Read more]
You can tell an epic story at any length; sometimes a standalone fantasy can traverse just as much narrative space as an entire trilogy. But when it comes to fantasy worlds that we can explore every inch of, we are particularly fond of series with nine books or more. Yep, you heard us: we want trilogies upon trilogies (with the occasional side duology/quartet) in our favorite long-running SFF series. From alternate histories to fantasy that slowly becomes science fiction, from lady knights to more than a few telepathic dragons, from sagas that span one generation to multiple centuries, these series are so expansive and immersive that reading them feels not just like visiting a new world, but like coming home.
Yesterday, fandom was rocked by the devastating news that Spider-Man has been exiled from the Marvel Cinematic Universe because of a failed deal between Sony and Disney. (At least for now–negotiations aren’t completely dead and this could just be a power play to make one side give in.) Fingers were pointed, jimmies were rustled, and as the implications set in (Will Spider-Man have to be recast yet again? How many times are they going to make Uncle Ben die? How DARE they? etc.), social media exploded with calls to #SaveSpidey.
(Possible spoilers for Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home, so click at your own peril.)
With Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark still in theaters, Guillermo del Toro is treating us to another literary horror adaptation containing one or two creepy illustrations. This one is called Antlers, an adaptation of Nick Antosca’s short story “The Quiet Boy,” and Fox Searchlight just released its atmospheric first teaser.
New York’s friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is leaving the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
As reported by Deadline, Sony and Disney have failed to reach new agreement terms after months of negotiations and have essentially nixed producer Kevin Feige and Marvel’s involvement from further Spider-Man films.
So we just have a few questions, the first one being How dare you?
Twenty years and many iterations of mobile smartphones later, it’s time to dial back in to The Matrix.
Take away the Ents, the Nazgûl, the Orcs, and all those pesky battles and Elven deliberations from The Lord of the Rings, and really what you have is a series about one very epic hike. But how epic is it? Well, it depends on who you ask. Tallying up how many miles it took for Frodo and Sam to get to Mount Doom is a popular past-time for LOTR fans, and if you visit New Zealand, where Peter Jackson’s trilogy was filmed, there are plenty of hiking tours designed to put you in the Hobbitses’ foot-steps.
The Venn Diagram of Tolkien-lovers and hiking fans doesn’t end there. As it turns out, there’s a whole sub-culture of thru-hikers—those who hike long-distance trails end-to-end—who are also huge fantasy readers.
- Andrew Liptak A New Trailer for His Dark Materials Showcase’s Lyra’s Quest 8 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Marvel Studios Reveals Black Panther 2, Eternals, and Black Widow Details at D23 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak What Did We Learn About Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker from D23? 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak Ewan McGregor Returns to Star Wars for an Obi-Wan Kenobi Series 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Disney’s Live-Action Star Wars Show, The Mandalorian 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak The Final Season of The Clone Wars Will Debut in February 2020 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Live-Action Moon Knight Gets Confirmed for Disney+ 2 days ago
- Marvel Announces She-Hulk Live-Action Series 11 mins ago on
- 10 Expansive SFF Worlds We Want to Get Lost In 49 mins ago on
- Holy Rewatch Batman! “Penguin’s Clean Sweep” 2 hours ago on
- Marvel Announces She-Hulk Live-Action Series 2 hours ago on
- Rothfuss Reread: The Wise Man’s Fear, Part 20: You Wouldn’t Have a Hope 2 hours ago on
- 14 Things We Loved (and 8 Things We Hated) in Avengers: Endgame 3 hours ago on
- Pennyworth Is Best When It Commits to Crazy 3 hours ago on