Congratulations are in order for Marlon James and Helen Phillips, who were included on the National Book Award’s longlist in fiction today! Of the ten books in contention for the prize, James’ Black Leopard, Red Wolf and Phillips’ The Need are the two that come from a speculative fiction tradition.
Neil Gaiman—author of short fiction, novels, comic books, graphic novels, nonfiction, audio theatre, and films—took to Reddit for an AMA, answering questions on his writing process, his many varied projects, his favorite authors—and how to make the world’s best porridge. Check out the highlights below!
There’s no shortage of things to love about Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth, but if we had to pick just two: (1) it is full of necromancers, and (2) there are nine separate Houses dedicated to their Undead Emperor, each with their own purpose, and necromantic talents all their own.
Want to know where you’d belong? Here is a glorious breakdown, complete with rhyme scheme…
A third Superman has been added to the mix for the CW’s massive Arrowverse crossover event, Crisis on Infinite Earths! This time, he’ll be played by Tom Welling. Deadline has reported that the actor will indeed be reprising his Smallville version of the character, and the crossover event will reveal what happened to Clark Kent 10 years after the events of the show.
The second trailer for Rian Johnson’s Agatha Christie mystery-inspired whodunnit, Knives Out, was released earlier this week, teasing more of Detective Benoit Blanc’s (Daniel Craig) deduction skills.
Jeffrey Dean Morgan, whom you might know as Negan from The Walking Dead, the dad of the Winchester boys on Supernatural, or the guy who is not Javier Bardem, is taking on yet another horror project — this time on the big screen. Deadline has reported that he’ll be playing the lead in an upcoming adaptation of James Herbert’s 1983 horror novel Shrine, to be written and directed by Evan Spiliotopoulos.
It’s hard enough being a single mom, but when the child you’re raising is a burgeoning superhero with tons of reality-bending abilities, this comes with an entirely different set of challenges. That’s the premise of Netflix’s new sci-fi drama series, Raising Dion, which just dropped its new trailer.
It’s the Night Monkey’s world, and we’re all just living in it. Peter Parker’s hastily improvised Spider-Man-but-in-a-black-suit alter-ego is getting his own movie at last.
“Grass, but make it scary” may seem like a dubious set-up for a horror story, but the first trailer for Netflix’s upcoming adaptation of Stephen King and Joe Hill’s novella actually makes the humble lawn plant quite terrifying indeed.
Tamsyn Muir’s epic-sci-fi-fantasy-necromantic-comedy debut, Gideon the Ninth, published last week. (From the writer herself: “Everyone agrees that Charles Stross put it best when he described it as Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted gothic palace in space! although I also really liked it when he just said Skeletons!”) To celebrate, the Nebula/World Fantasy Award/Shirley Jackson-nominated author dropped by r/Books for an AMA, and it’s chock-full of writing advice, fun facts about the world of the Ninth House trilogy, forthcoming book news, jokes, skeletons, big influences, thoughts on the HYPE, and more.
Check out the highlights below, and head on over to the AMA itself for more genre-busting goth goodness!
Looks like it’s Battlestar Galactica’s turn to go through the reboot machine—again. According to Deadline, this time, it will be helmed by none other than Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail. NBC Universal, which gave us the critically acclaimed first Battlestar Galactica reboot in the 2000’s, made the announcement on Tuesday.
- Stubby the Rocket Marlon James’ Black Leopard, Red Wolf and Helen Phillips’ The Need Longlisted for the National Book Award 2 days ago
- Gabriella Tutino 5 Books That Flirt with Area 51 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Some Writing Advice (Plus a Porridge Recipe!) from Neil Gaiman 2 days ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Higher, Further, Faster — Captain Marvel 2 days ago
- Natalie Zutter Ad Astra is an Extended Parable About Absentee Fathers, But What For? 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Find Your Necromancy Family Among the Houses of Gideon the Ninth 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Smallville‘s Tom Welling to Play Superman Again in the Arrowverse Crossover 2 days ago
- Higher, Further, Faster — Captain Marvel 1 min ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes 10 and 11 14 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Ninety-Seven 2 hours ago on
- Higher, Further, Faster — Captain Marvel 3 hours ago on
- Higher, Further, Faster — Captain Marvel 4 hours ago on
- Wikihistory 5 hours ago on
- Wikihistory 5 hours ago on