So you have to buy a gift for a lady who likes Batman over Barbie. Tolkien over Twilight. The Eleventh Doctor over Dr. McDreamy. You know that soap set from Bath and Body Works just isn’t going to cut it. Geeky girls need geeky gifts! Which is why I’ve put together a guide to buying the perfect present for the Adama-loving, Carl Sagan-worshipping, comic-book-reading, ladies in your lives.
Having trouble wrapping your arms around what to get your friends and family for the holidays? Turn to your favorite cephalopods for help. Who isn’t romanced by the squiggly arms of a squid or the suckers of a many-limbed sea creature? From neckties, to jewelry, to classic Christmas ornaments, tentacles are wrapping everything in holiday spirit. So embrace the Cthulu, the octopus and the giant, man-eating squid, and get Kraken on purchasing gifts that will inspire many two-armed embraces.
Don’t mess with me or I’ll make the bottom half of your leg disappear.
When Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s “Grindhouse” hit movie theaters in 2007, I walked out of the theater knowing one day I would figure out how to dress like Cherry Darling for Halloween, machine gun leg and all. Clearly the issue with this costume is not so much in the fabrication of a machine gun as it is in the faked disappearance of a limb from the knee down. How the hell do you vanish a leg from knee to toe?
Easy! Just follow these simple steps.
This weekend I went, for the very first time, to Maker Faire NYC, an assembly of scientists, craftspeople and makers of random (mostly nerdy) things. Held at the The New York Hall of Science, exhibitors and vendors filled the indoor learning center and spilled out onto the surrounding fields and parking lots, populating the space with rocketships, game-controller-operated slingshots, and giant Rube Goldberg models. In the spirit of the event, Mother Nature handmade perfect weather for the occasion, setting the stage for a perfect indoor/outdoor geek out.
- Ryan La Sala 17 Iconic Fashion Moments in SFF History 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Season 2 of Netflix’s Another Life 1 day ago
- Martin Cahill What Makes a Monster? The Complexities of No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull 1 day ago
- James Davis Nicoll 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 1 day ago
- Molly Templeton Time Travel Makes Everything Worse in the Teaser for Needle in a Timestack 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley 1 day ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 1 day ago
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 43 mins ago on
- Where to Start Reading the Work of Nicola Griffith 1 hour ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: Moiraine and Siuan Come Home in Robert Jordan’s New Spring (Part 6) 1 hour ago on
- Red Shirts and Big Helmets — Star Trek: Lower Decks: “The Spy Humongous” 2 hours ago on
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 2 hours ago on
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Watch Anime 2 hours ago on
- You Will Fear the Fuchsia, Yet Again: From Beyond (1986) 3 hours ago on