So you have to buy a gift for a lady who likes Batman over Barbie. Tolkien over Twilight. The Eleventh Doctor over Dr. McDreamy. You know that soap set from Bath and Body Works just isn’t going to cut it. Geeky girls need geeky gifts! Which is why I’ve put together a guide to buying the perfect present for the Adama-loving, Carl Sagan-worshipping, comic-book-reading, ladies in your lives.
Having trouble wrapping your arms around what to get your friends and family for the holidays? Turn to your favorite cephalopods for help. Who isn’t romanced by the squiggly arms of a squid or the suckers of a many-limbed sea creature? From neckties, to jewelry, to classic Christmas ornaments, tentacles are wrapping everything in holiday spirit. So embrace the Cthulu, the octopus and the giant, man-eating squid, and get Kraken on purchasing gifts that will inspire many two-armed embraces.
Don’t mess with me or I’ll make the bottom half of your leg disappear.
When Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s “Grindhouse” hit movie theaters in 2007, I walked out of the theater knowing one day I would figure out how to dress like Cherry Darling for Halloween, machine gun leg and all. Clearly the issue with this costume is not so much in the fabrication of a machine gun as it is in the faked disappearance of a limb from the knee down. How the hell do you vanish a leg from knee to toe?
Easy! Just follow these simple steps.
This weekend I went, for the very first time, to Maker Faire NYC, an assembly of scientists, craftspeople and makers of random (mostly nerdy) things. Held at the The New York Hall of Science, exhibitors and vendors filled the indoor learning center and spilled out onto the surrounding fields and parking lots, populating the space with rocketships, game-controller-operated slingshots, and giant Rube Goldberg models. In the spirit of the event, Mother Nature handmade perfect weather for the occasion, setting the stage for a perfect indoor/outdoor geek out.
- Cole Rush Five Fictional Texts With Dark or Mysterious Implications 27 mins ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Here Are the Winners of the 2021 Nebula Awards! 1 day ago
- Vanessa Armstrong George Miller Presents His “Anti-Mad Max” in Three Thousand Years of Longing Trailer 3 days ago
- Vanessa Armstrong First Trailer for The Winchesters Introduces Us to Young John and Mary (and Their Monster-Hunting Friends) 3 days ago
- Vanessa Armstrong Charlie Cox’s Daredevil Is Reportedly Getting His Own Disney+ Series 3 days ago
- Tor.com Revealing TJ Klune’s In the Lives of Puppets 3 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Maskerade, Part II 3 days ago
- Secrets and Lies — Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: “Ghosts of Illyria” 24 seconds ago on
- Secrets and Lies — Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: “Ghosts of Illyria” 45 mins ago on
- Secrets and Lies — Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: “Ghosts of Illyria” 51 mins ago on
- Secrets and Lies — Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: “Ghosts of Illyria” 3 hours ago on
- Rhythm of War Reread: Chapter Seventy-Nine 3 hours ago on
- Five Dark (But Not Hopeless) SF Movies 3 hours ago on
- Five Stories in Which Aliens Attempt to Reshape the Earth 4 hours ago on