So you have to buy a gift for a lady who likes Batman over Barbie. Tolkien over Twilight. The Eleventh Doctor over Dr. McDreamy. You know that soap set from Bath and Body Works just isn’t going to cut it. Geeky girls need geeky gifts! Which is why I’ve put together a guide to buying the perfect present for the Adama-loving, Carl Sagan-worshipping, comic-book-reading, ladies in your lives.
Having trouble wrapping your arms around what to get your friends and family for the holidays? Turn to your favorite cephalopods for help. Who isn’t romanced by the squiggly arms of a squid or the suckers of a many-limbed sea creature? From neckties, to jewelry, to classic Christmas ornaments, tentacles are wrapping everything in holiday spirit. So embrace the Cthulu, the octopus and the giant, man-eating squid, and get Kraken on purchasing gifts that will inspire many two-armed embraces.
Don’t mess with me or I’ll make the bottom half of your leg disappear.
When Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s “Grindhouse” hit movie theaters in 2007, I walked out of the theater knowing one day I would figure out how to dress like Cherry Darling for Halloween, machine gun leg and all. Clearly the issue with this costume is not so much in the fabrication of a machine gun as it is in the faked disappearance of a limb from the knee down. How the hell do you vanish a leg from knee to toe?
Easy! Just follow these simple steps.
This weekend I went, for the very first time, to Maker Faire NYC, an assembly of scientists, craftspeople and makers of random (mostly nerdy) things. Held at the The New York Hall of Science, exhibitors and vendors filled the indoor learning center and spilled out onto the surrounding fields and parking lots, populating the space with rocketships, game-controller-operated slingshots, and giant Rube Goldberg models. In the spirit of the event, Mother Nature handmade perfect weather for the occasion, setting the stage for a perfect indoor/outdoor geek out.
- Cullen Bunn 5 Books About Folk Horror 1 day ago
- Tobias Carroll Stories Within Stories Within Nightmares: Dale Bailey’s In the Night Wood 1 day ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido “I don’t like bullies” — Captain America: The First Avenger 1 day ago
- Leigh Butler Why We Still Love Hocus Pocus 25 Years Later 1 day ago
- James Davis Nicoll (Semi-)Plausible Strategies for Moving a Whole Damn Planet 1 day ago
- Tor.com Read an Excerpt from M.T. Hill’s Sci-Fi Thriller Zero Bomb 1 day ago
- Feliza Casano The Power of Language: The Black Khan by Ausma Zehanat Khan 2 days ago
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Fifty-Two 12 mins ago on
- (Semi-)Plausible Strategies for Moving a Whole Damn Planet 16 mins ago on
- Five Books About Heroes Who Shouldn’t Babysit Your Kitten 25 mins ago on
- 5 Books About Folk Horror 31 mins ago on
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “Turnabout Intruder” 42 mins ago on
- Five Books About Heroes Who Shouldn’t Babysit Your Kitten 1 hour ago on
- “I don’t like bullies” — Captain America: The First Avenger 2 hours ago on