So you have to buy a gift for a lady who likes Batman over Barbie. Tolkien over Twilight. The Eleventh Doctor over Dr. McDreamy. You know that soap set from Bath and Body Works just isn’t going to cut it. Geeky girls need geeky gifts! Which is why I’ve put together a guide to buying the perfect present for the Adama-loving, Carl Sagan-worshipping, comic-book-reading, ladies in your lives.
Having trouble wrapping your arms around what to get your friends and family for the holidays? Turn to your favorite cephalopods for help. Who isn’t romanced by the squiggly arms of a squid or the suckers of a many-limbed sea creature? From neckties, to jewelry, to classic Christmas ornaments, tentacles are wrapping everything in holiday spirit. So embrace the Cthulu, the octopus and the giant, man-eating squid, and get Kraken on purchasing gifts that will inspire many two-armed embraces.
Don’t mess with me or I’ll make the bottom half of your leg disappear.
When Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s “Grindhouse” hit movie theaters in 2007, I walked out of the theater knowing one day I would figure out how to dress like Cherry Darling for Halloween, machine gun leg and all. Clearly the issue with this costume is not so much in the fabrication of a machine gun as it is in the faked disappearance of a limb from the knee down. How the hell do you vanish a leg from knee to toe?
Easy! Just follow these simple steps.
This weekend I went, for the very first time, to Maker Faire NYC, an assembly of scientists, craftspeople and makers of random (mostly nerdy) things. Held at the The New York Hall of Science, exhibitors and vendors filled the indoor learning center and spilled out onto the surrounding fields and parking lots, populating the space with rocketships, game-controller-operated slingshots, and giant Rube Goldberg models. In the spirit of the event, Mother Nature handmade perfect weather for the occasion, setting the stage for a perfect indoor/outdoor geek out.
- Jennifer Giesbrecht Five Fantasy Books Steeped in History 6 mins ago
- Michael Cassutt The Vetting 1 hour ago
- Andrew Liptak Amazon Announces That its Middle-earth Series Will be Shot in New Zealand 15 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket V.E. Schwab’s The Archived Book Series Being Adapted for The CW 17 hours ago
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: Is This the Book I Wanted to Read? 19 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Steel Crow Saga Sweepstakes! 20 hours ago
- Jared Shurin Joe Abercrombie’s A Little Hatred: A Book at War With Its Past 20 hours ago
- Joe Abercrombie’s A Little Hatred: A Book at War With Its Past 1 min ago on
- Five Forgotten Swordsmen and Swordswomen of Fantasy 1 min ago on
- Entertainment Weekly Reveals 8 New Details About HBO’s His Dark Materials 26 mins ago on
- Joe Abercrombie’s A Little Hatred: A Book at War With Its Past 28 mins ago on
- Here’s Why Star Trek Still Has the Best Theme Songs and Credit Sequences in All of SciFi Television 31 mins ago on
- Amazon Announces That its Middle-earth Series Will be Shot in New Zealand 33 mins ago on
- Here’s Why Star Trek Still Has the Best Theme Songs and Credit Sequences in All of SciFi Television 45 mins ago on