So you have to buy a gift for a lady who likes Batman over Barbie. Tolkien over Twilight. The Eleventh Doctor over Dr. McDreamy. You know that soap set from Bath and Body Works just isn’t going to cut it. Geeky girls need geeky gifts! Which is why I’ve put together a guide to buying the perfect present for the Adama-loving, Carl Sagan-worshipping, comic-book-reading, ladies in your lives.
Having trouble wrapping your arms around what to get your friends and family for the holidays? Turn to your favorite cephalopods for help. Who isn’t romanced by the squiggly arms of a squid or the suckers of a many-limbed sea creature? From neckties, to jewelry, to classic Christmas ornaments, tentacles are wrapping everything in holiday spirit. So embrace the Cthulu, the octopus and the giant, man-eating squid, and get Kraken on purchasing gifts that will inspire many two-armed embraces.
Don’t mess with me or I’ll make the bottom half of your leg disappear.
When Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez’s “Grindhouse” hit movie theaters in 2007, I walked out of the theater knowing one day I would figure out how to dress like Cherry Darling for Halloween, machine gun leg and all. Clearly the issue with this costume is not so much in the fabrication of a machine gun as it is in the faked disappearance of a limb from the knee down. How the hell do you vanish a leg from knee to toe?
Easy! Just follow these simple steps.
This weekend I went, for the very first time, to Maker Faire NYC, an assembly of scientists, craftspeople and makers of random (mostly nerdy) things. Held at the The New York Hall of Science, exhibitors and vendors filled the indoor learning center and spilled out onto the surrounding fields and parking lots, populating the space with rocketships, game-controller-operated slingshots, and giant Rube Goldberg models. In the spirit of the event, Mother Nature handmade perfect weather for the occasion, setting the stage for a perfect indoor/outdoor geek out.
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Bad Guys and Good Guys in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier‘s “The Whole World is Watching” 2 days ago
- Tor.com All the New Horror and Genre-Bending Books Arriving in April! 2 days ago
- Leah Schnelbach The New MST3K Kickstarter Reached Its $2 Million Goal In Only 36 Hours 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Marvel Reportedly Casts Hamilton Star Renée Elise Goldsberry in She-Hulk 2 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Good Omens, Part II 2 days ago
- Alex Brown Must-Read Speculative Short Fiction: March 2021 2 days ago
- Kim Bo-Young Read an Excerpt From I’m Waiting For You 3 days ago
- Annie Without Crow 5 seconds ago on
- Marquette University Is Looking for Oral Histories From J.R.R. Tolkien Fans 5 hours ago on
- Bad Guys and Good Guys in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier‘s “The Whole World is Watching” 5 hours ago on
- Five SFF Works That Put Bards Center Stage 6 hours ago on
- Bad Guys and Good Guys in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier‘s “The Whole World is Watching” 7 hours ago on
- The Mysterious Study of Doctor Sex 8 hours ago on
- Bad Guys and Good Guys in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier‘s “The Whole World is Watching” 8 hours ago on