Stella thought she’d made up a lie on the spot, asking her childhood friend if he remembered the strange public broadcast TV show with the unsettling host she and all the neighborhood kids appeared on years ago. But he does remember. And so does her mom. Why doesn’t Stella? The more she investigates the show and the grip it has on her hometown, the eerier the mystery grows.
Fiction and Excerpts 
We first need to establish the degree of my childhood aversion to tomatoes. It was fear, not dislike, since I’d never actually tasted one. There wasn’t a single form in which they weren’t scary: I rejected them as ketchup, gazpacho, soup, salsa, sauce, and in their natural form. White pizza only, please, and cream sauce on pasta. My sisters could chase me with a tomato and I would flee in terror—though granted, it was always safer to run if they were chasing me.
I’ve lied to you already. I said it was a childhood aversion, but it lasted until I was thirty.
My family moved to Toronto when I was fourteen. At the time, there was still a fifth year of high school required, a series of courses that involved lengthy essays and independent projects. The idea that I’d be graduating a year after my friends back in New York bothered me, and I determined that I would cram the fifth year into the fourth. I’d somewhere absorbed the idea that high school was hell and college (as well as anything else that came after) was better, and I should do everything I could to hasten the change.
Where had I gotten that idea? Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti wasn’t around yet, nor Diana Wynne Jones’ Year of the Griffin, nor Lev Grossman’s The Magicians, nor Terry Pratchett’s Unseen Academicals. Here are five of the books that may have contributed to my rush to leave high school behind.
Series: Five Books About…
- Michael Livingston A Knight’s Tale Is the Best Medieval Movie (No, Really) 3 days ago
- Aidan Moher The Striking Style of SFF Artist Galen Dara 3 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: The Colour of Magic, Part III 3 days ago
- James Davis Nicoll A Brief History of the Megastructure in Science Fiction 3 days ago
- Alexandra Christo Five Books With Criminals Who Save the Day 4 days ago
- Andrew Liptak New Trailer for Netflix’s The Old Guard Teases a War Over Immortality 4 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Amazon is Making a Fallout TV Series From the Creators of Westworld 4 days ago
- Leap High Yahoo 10 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “The Chute” 58 mins ago on
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch: “Chain of Command, Part II” 1 hour ago on
- The 25 Most Anticipated SFF Books for the Rest of 2020 3 hours ago on
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: The Colour of Magic, Part III 3 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Once More Unto the Breach” 5 hours ago on
- A Few of Our Favorite Angels in Fantasy Fiction 5 hours ago on