I’m assuming you’re here because you like to read. But how much do you like to read, really? Have you read so many books that you’ve actually become jaded with all the typical archetypes? Hopefully not! There’s still plenty of magic to be had from a traditional story, executed well. But if the worst has happened, and you just can’t get excited anymore unless somebody is doing something seriously weird, possibly illegal, and certainly wrong to the stories we all know and love, I’ve got a brief list for you. One that will hopefully burn out the entire “bizarre” center of your brain, leaving you both happy and grateful to return to the safe harbor of relatively normal fiction.
Fiction and Excerpts 
There are angels, and they are not beneficent or loving. But they do watch over us. They watch our lives unfold, analyzing us for repeating patterns and redundancies. When they find them, the angels simplify those patterns and remove the redundancies, and the problem that is “you” gets solved.
Carey doesn’t much like that idea. As a punk living in New York City, 1977, Carey is sick and tired of watching strange kids with unnoticeable faces abduct his friends. He doesn’t care about the rumors of tar-monsters in the sewers or unkillable psychopaths invading the punk scene—all he wants is to drink cheap beer and dispense ass-kickings.
Kaitlyn isn’t sure what she’s doing with her life. She came to Hollywood in 2013 to be a stunt woman, but last night a former teen heartthrob tried to eat her, her best friend has just gone missing, and there’s an angel outside her apartment. Whatever she plans on doing with her life, it should probably happen in the few remaining minutes she has left.
The survival of the human race is in their hands. We are, all of us, well and truly screwed. A funny and frightening urban fantasy, Robert Brockway’s The Unnoticeables is available July 7th from Tor Books in the US and Titan Books in the UK!
- Nick Courage Five Books With Deadly Pop Music 1 day ago
- Charles Soule The Word-Worlds of Neal Stephenson’s Anathem 1 day ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido “I’m not the bad guy” — Daredevil 1 day ago
- Tor.com Fractured Bonds: Revealing Kim Wilkins’ Sisters of the Fire 1 day ago
- Tor.com The Wheel of Time Named One of America’s 100 Most Beloved Books 1 day ago
- Brandon O'Brien Black Lightning: The Family That Fights Together, Stays Together 1 day ago
- Jeff LaSala The Frankenstein Chronicles Is What Grimdark Should Be 1 day ago
- The Frankenstein Chronicles Is What Grimdark Should Be 1 min ago on
- Shaping the Speculative Fiction World: Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling 1 min ago on
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Mid-Season Premiere: Stuck in the Middle with You 7 mins ago on
- Is Killing Giants Ever Justified? The Evolving Tale of “Jack and the Beanstalk” 12 mins ago on
- Harbingers of Horror: Five Books With Unreliable Narrators 21 mins ago on
- Tales from Topographic Beleriand: Gondolin, Galadriel, and the Gates of Sirion 45 mins ago on
- The Wheel of Time Named One of America’s 100 Most Beloved Books 50 mins ago on