The word futurist is quite generative. From it we get the arts movement that so influenced science fiction for better and for worse during the Pulp Era, as discussed in the previous half of this article. However, there is another more modern usage: people and organizations in the business of predicting future trends. In this sense, science fiction is not futurist despite claims to the contrary. The physics of exactly how Chewie punches the Millennium Falcon through hyperspace is handwaved away, and thirty years after A New Hope, hyperdrive technology remains at the edges of pseudo-science. And that’s okay.
Afrofuturism and solarpunk, powers combined. Everybody loves a team-up. Crossover events are a big deal…like Nutella mixed with good Trinidadian rum. Two things that must go well together and, MY GOD, how could it be that this hasn’t been a staple of the food pyramid since 1972?
- Andrew Tejada Snowpiercer Is Getting an Express Ticket to a Third Season 16 hours ago
- Judith Tarr A Human-Free Earth: Andre Norton’s Breed to Come 17 hours ago
- Alexis Ong Life, Death, and Coming of Age in Nnedi Okorafor’s Remote Control 17 hours ago
- Adalyn Grace Read an Excerpt From All the Tides of Fate 18 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Night” 18 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak New Trailer for Netflix’s Space Sweepers Shows Off an Action-Packed Romp 18 hours ago
- Liz Bourke A Glittering Caper: The Mask of Mirrors by M.A. Carrick 19 hours ago
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “A Taste of Armageddon” 16 mins ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: Spying and Secrets of Tel’aran’rhiod in Robert Jordan’s The Fires of Heaven (Part 16) 42 mins ago on
- Classic SF in Which Humans Come From “Beyond the Stars” 44 mins ago on
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “A Taste of Armageddon” 57 mins ago on
- Rhythm of War Reread: Interludes 1 (Sylphrena, Sja-Anat, Into the Fire) 58 mins ago on
- A Human-Free Earth: Andre Norton’s Breed to Come 2 hours ago on
- Classic SF in Which Humans Come From “Beyond the Stars” 2 hours ago on