The word futurist is quite generative. From it we get the arts movement that so influenced science fiction for better and for worse during the Pulp Era, as discussed in the previous half of this article. However, there is another more modern usage: people and organizations in the business of predicting future trends. In this sense, science fiction is not futurist despite claims to the contrary. The physics of exactly how Chewie punches the Millennium Falcon through hyperspace is handwaved away, and thirty years after A New Hope, hyperdrive technology remains at the edges of pseudo-science. And that’s okay.
Afrofuturism and solarpunk, powers combined. Everybody loves a team-up. Crossover events are a big deal…like Nutella mixed with good Trinidadian rum. Two things that must go well together and, MY GOD, how could it be that this hasn’t been a staple of the food pyramid since 1972?
- Andrew Liptak HBO Max Is Adapting Fledgling, Octavia Butler’s Vampire Novel 8 hours ago
- Alexis Ong Writing the Unknowable in Strange Beasts of China by Yan Ge, Translated by Jeremy Tiang 11 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak TNT’s Snowpiercer Finishes Season 3 Production; Gets Season 4 Pickup 11 hours ago
- Molly Templeton The Future Is Half-Written in Laura Sebastian’s Half Sick of Shadows 12 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Unimatrix Zero, Part II” 13 hours ago
- Molly Templeton Marvel’s Hawkeye Is Coming Home for Thanksgiving 14 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak New Trailer for Apple’s See Teases a Brutal War 15 hours ago
- Playing Favorites With Favorites, or, What We Talk About When We Talk About Our Favorite Books 32 mins ago on
- Playing Favorites With Favorites, or, What We Talk About When We Talk About Our Favorite Books 37 mins ago on
- Why? Seriously, WHY? An Investigation Into A Quiet Place Parts I & II 45 mins ago on
- Playing Favorites With Favorites, or, What We Talk About When We Talk About Our Favorite Books 49 mins ago on
- Sleeps With Monsters: Two Books About Family Situations 1 hour ago on
- Playing Favorites With Favorites, or, What We Talk About When We Talk About Our Favorite Books 1 hour ago on
- Five Speculative Visions of Britain in Chaos 2 hours ago on