R.F. Kuang’s debut novel The Poppy War is one of our favorite books of 2018—and now it’s nominated for a Nebula Award! An epic historical military fantasy inspired by the bloody history of China’s twentieth century, The Poppy War is published by Harper Voyager. Read an excerpt below!
Fiction and Excerpts 
Growing up Chinese-American, I had few options when it came to reading books about myself and my culture. Most of the works I could find that featured Chinese characters were by authors without Chinese heritage, which meant you got awful, cringe-worthy scenes detailing almond eyes, lotus-bud lips, qipao slits riding over dainty hips, and nainais speaking in stereotypically broken English.
But in the past decade, mainstream publishing has inched closer towards better representation, even if we’re still not quite there. Ken Liu’s Grace of Kings proved that an epic based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms could be just as popular as Game of Thrones; JY Yang’s Tensorate Series novellas have been racking up the awards nominations this year; and the anthology A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, a collection of reimagined Asian folklore and myths that has already garnered critical acclaim, comes out this year in June.
So here are five more recently published books about East Asian culture and history, by East Asian (diaspora) authors, that I wish I’d been able to find on shelves when I was younger. I’ve tried to pick books across genres and age groups (adult and YA) so that there’s something here that might appeal to everyone. Enjoy!
Series: Five Books About…
When Rin aced the Keju—the Empire-wide test to find the most talented youth to learn at the Academies—it was a shock to everyone: to the test officials, who couldn’t believe a war orphan from Rooster Province could pass without cheating; to Rin’s guardians, who believed they’d finally be able to marry her off and further their criminal enterprise; and to Rin herself, who realized she was finally free of the servitude and despair that had made up her daily existence. That she got into Sinegard—the most elite military school in Nikan—was even more surprising.
But surprises aren’t always good.
Because being a dark-skinned peasant girl from the south is not an easy thing at Sinegard. Targeted from the outset by rival classmates for her color, poverty, and gender, Rin discovers she possesses a lethal, unearthly power—an aptitude for the nearly-mythical art of shamanism. Exploring the depths of her gift with the help of a seemingly insane teacher and psychoactive substances, Rin learns that gods long thought dead are very much alive—and that mastering control over those powers could mean more than just surviving school…
R.F. Kuang makes her exciting debut with The Poppy War, an epic historical military fantasy inspired by the bloody history of China’s twentieth century. Available May 1st from Harper Voyager.
- Stubby the Rocket Taika Waititi Tapped For Upcoming Animated Flash Gordon Film 38 mins ago
- Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Epilogue 1 hour ago
- Sweepstakes The Lesson Sweepstakes! 2 hours ago
- Judith Tarr Worldbuilding Your Horse Breeds 3 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Number One and Spock Will Return for a Star Trek: Short Trek 3 hours ago
- Anya Johanna DeNiro Murderbot’s Guide to Building a Personal Identity; or, Reading All Systems Red as a Trans Woman 4 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Everything We Learned So Far from Philip Pullman’s The Secret Commonwealth Excerpts 5 hours ago
- Number One and Spock Will Return for a Star Trek: Short Trek 1 min ago on
- Everything We Learned So Far from Philip Pullman’s The Secret Commonwealth Excerpts 19 mins ago on
- Everything We Learned So Far from Philip Pullman’s The Secret Commonwealth Excerpts 28 mins ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Epilogue 32 mins ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Epilogue 38 mins ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Epilogue 48 mins ago on
- Netflix Releases the Final Trailer for Stranger Things Season 3 54 mins ago on