Thursday, October 10 is World Mental Health Day, and to commemorate the day, Brandon Sanderson beta readers Paige Vest and Ross Newberry are revisiting the author’s work to explore mental illness in comparison to the Hoed, the fallen Elantrians from Brandon’s first published work, Elantris. [Read more]
Series: Oathbringer Reread
When you hear the word “hero”, what’s the first image that comes to mind? Someone big and strong and confident and perfect? Well, in Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive novels, the heroes aren’t quite what you’d expect.
In the following conversation, Sanderson beta readers Paige Vest and Ross Newberry take an in-depth look at these less-than-ideal heroes and how reading about their exploits has inspired more than one “broken” person to keep up their own fight. Please be aware that this article includes frank and deeply personal discussion of mental illness and touches on depression, anxiety, trauma, suicidal ideations, and self-harm, in terms of both fiction and personal experience—addressed with the intention of illuminating the experiences of the characters and the perspective of readers who see their own struggles reflected in the series.
Greetings, oh fans of the Cosmere, and welcome back to the Oathbringer Reread! This week, we jump back in time again, thirty-three years, as Dalinar shows what a warrior armed with Shardplate can do to… well, pretty much anyone without Shardplate. It does have a few disadvantages, though.
Series: Oathbringer Reread
Howdy there, Cosmerenauts! Welcome back to the Oathbringer Reread, where we again join Kaladin on his travels. This time, he’s searching for Voidbringers, while Sylphrena makes awkward suggestions for his happiness, and Adolin visits his father’s Ryshadium.
Series: Oathbringer Reread
Oathbringer is here and has been devoured by most of us (probably multiple times, by some of you). We discussed in the spoiler article which of our expectations were met and which were not … as well as a few things that surprised us.
But it’s too early to start speculating on what might happen in book 4, right? Hahahahaha! It’s never too early to speculate, guys. NEVER. So let’s get on with it, yes?
OATHBRINGER IS HERE!
Okay, forgive the shouting, but this day has been long awaited! Actually, that should probably say “this month,” since we hope you all got your copy last week and have had plenty of time to read it by now. Because we have Things To Discuss! Settle in with your spren and your libation of choice, and let’s get to it.
We’re summarizing Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series so far, for those who don’t have the time to re-read a couple of thousand-page books and a novella before the release of the third book, Oathbringer, on November 14th (tomorrow!). It should go without saying that this article contains thorough spoilers for the series to date so if you haven’t yet read the books, nope out of here pronto. After all, a good story is more about the Journey than the Destination.
Readers, I speak to you today with the Rhythm of Caution (don’t go looking for it, I just made it up), as this article contains spoilers for the first two books of The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. If you haven’t read them, why are you here again? Go, read, now. You’ll thank me. So, so much.
If you have read the first two installments of the series, but maybe not for a while and the details are kinda fuzzy, no worries. There are a LOT of details. Allow me to direct you to the excellent re-read articles for The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, as well as the ‘Before Oathbringer‘ refresher article, all right here on Tor.com.
Note that this article contains no information from the Oathbringer preview chapters which have been released thus far. So if you’re avoiding those, this will still be safe. If you aren’t avoiding those, please keep spoilers out of the comments. KTHX!
We’re summarizing Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series so far, for those who don’t have the time to re-read a couple of thousand-page books and a novella before the release of the third book, Oathbringer, this fall. It should go without saying that this article contains thorough spoilers for the series to date so if you haven’t yet read the books, nope out of here pronto. After all, a good story is more about the Journey than the Destination.
Series: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
- Emily Asher-Perrin The Mandalorian Makes a Detour on Tatooine in Chapter 5, “The Gunslinger” 2 hours ago
- Matthew Keeley John Crowley’s Reading Backwards Offers More Than a Decade of Brilliance 3 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido The Calm After the Storm — Spider-Man: Far From Home 5 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin To Understand Anakin Skywalker’s Full Story, You Need to Watch the Star Wars Animated Series 6 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch a New Trailer for HBO’s Adaptation of Stephen King’s The Outsider 6 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Venom 2 Adds Stephen Graham to Cast 6 hours ago
- Jo Walton Jo Walton’s Reading List: November 2019 7 hours ago
- The Calm After the Storm — Spider-Man: Far From Home 2 mins ago on
- Creating Gods Through Science and Magic 2 mins ago on
- The Mandalorian Makes a Detour on Tatooine in Chapter 5, “The Gunslinger” 6 mins ago on
- The Calm After the Storm — Spider-Man: Far From Home 6 mins ago on
- The Mandalorian Makes a Detour on Tatooine in Chapter 5, “The Gunslinger” 10 mins ago on
- The Mandalorian Makes a Detour on Tatooine in Chapter 5, “The Gunslinger” 13 mins ago on
- Shtetl Days 15 mins ago on