In honor of International Apostrophe Day, August 16, we’re going to talk about apostrophes in science fiction and fantasy names. Why do authors think apostrophes make characters seem exotic? Who started it? And why do some people find it annoying?
You know how teachers tell writers to “consider the audience” and business trainers tell writers to think about “what’s appropriate for a given writing situation”? Well, it occurred to me the other day that what this all means is that good writers need to be more like empathic metamorphs.
Metamorphs, as featured in the Star Trek (TNG) episode “The Perfect Mate,” are empathic beings who live to please others and become the perfect mate by knowing exactly what their partners want.
In Star Trek, the allure of the metamorph is about sex and romance, of course, but if you apply the same concepts to writing, it can be about safety.
- Kate Elliott and Zoraida Córdova Reading Paper and Fire: Book 2 of the Great Library by Rachel Caine 8 hours ago
- Angie Hodapp Read an Excerpt From Sci-Fi/Horror Anthology Psi-Wars 9 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Scientific Method” 10 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll Five SFF Books Driven by Terrible Choices and Appalling Judgment 11 hours ago
- Alan Brown A Little Something Extra: Masters of the Vortex by E. E. “Doc” Smith 12 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido The Future Isn’t What it Used to Be — Star Trek: Discovery’s “Far from Home” 12 hours ago
- Dan Persons Ten Scientastic Episodes of The Venture Bros. 13 hours ago
- Growing Up in Narnia: The Pevensies as Young Adults in The Horse and His Boy 4 seconds ago on
- The Future Isn’t What it Used to Be — Star Trek: Discovery’s “Far from Home” 7 mins ago on
- The Future Isn’t What it Used to Be — Star Trek: Discovery’s “Far from Home” 13 mins ago on
- Five SFF Books Driven by Terrible Choices and Appalling Judgment 27 mins ago on
- Five SFF Books Driven by Terrible Choices and Appalling Judgment 28 mins ago on
- “Oh, Frak” — Avoiding the Censors the SFF Way 39 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “State of Flux” 42 mins ago on