In honor of International Apostrophe Day, August 16, we’re going to talk about apostrophes in science fiction and fantasy names. Why do authors think apostrophes make characters seem exotic? Who started it? And why do some people find it annoying?
You know how teachers tell writers to “consider the audience” and business trainers tell writers to think about “what’s appropriate for a given writing situation”? Well, it occurred to me the other day that what this all means is that good writers need to be more like empathic metamorphs.
Metamorphs, as featured in the Star Trek (TNG) episode “The Perfect Mate,” are empathic beings who live to please others and become the perfect mate by knowing exactly what their partners want.
In Star Trek, the allure of the metamorph is about sex and romance, of course, but if you apply the same concepts to writing, it can be about safety.
- Leah Schnelbach The Man in the High Castle‘s SDCC 2018 Panel Teases a New Resistance – and a Premiere Date! 18 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Arthur Curry Gets the Worst Pep Talk Ever in First Aquaman Trailer 23 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Watch Billy Batson Shazam! For the First Time in New Trailer 23 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Trailer is the Godzilla Movie We Deserve 24 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Dumbledore Sees What He Wants Most in the Mirror of Erised in New Fantastic Beasts 2 Trailer! 1 day ago
- Natalie Zutter Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse Adds John Mulaney as Spider-Ham and Nicolas Cage as Spider-Man Noir 2 days ago
- Natalie Zutter Watch the First Teaser for the TV Adaptation of Thriller Podcast Homecoming 2 days ago
- Five Books / Series to Read if You Like The Laundry Files 51 mins ago on
- Frances McDormand to Play God in Good Omens–Here’s Your First Look 53 mins ago on
- Captain Pike Wants the Crew to Have Fun in Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Trailer 57 mins ago on
- Joss Whedon is Rebooting Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a Black Lead 1 hour ago on
- “We’re not going to have a meaningful conversation, are we?” — Ghost Rider 1 hour ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Diplomatic Immunity, Chapter 1 1 hour ago on
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Broken Link” 1 hour ago on