In honor of International Apostrophe Day, August 16, we’re going to talk about apostrophes in science fiction and fantasy names. Why do authors think apostrophes make characters seem exotic? Who started it? And why do some people find it annoying?
You know how teachers tell writers to “consider the audience” and business trainers tell writers to think about “what’s appropriate for a given writing situation”? Well, it occurred to me the other day that what this all means is that good writers need to be more like empathic metamorphs.
Metamorphs, as featured in the Star Trek (TNG) episode “The Perfect Mate,” are empathic beings who live to please others and become the perfect mate by knowing exactly what their partners want.
In Star Trek, the allure of the metamorph is about sex and romance, of course, but if you apply the same concepts to writing, it can be about safety.
- Mordicai Knode Gonzo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG Has Everything You’d Ever Want 12 hours ago
- Keith DeCandido “We are still Starfleet” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “The Wolf Inside” 12 hours ago
- Mari Ness Precociousness and Telekinesis: Rereading Roald Dahl’s Matilda 13 hours ago
- Judith Tarr When Tropes Go Bad, Australian Edition: Horses Acting Up Down Under 15 hours ago
- Tim Callahan The 10 Best Comics Written by Alan Moore 16 hours ago
- Nnedi Okorafor Read Binti: The Night Masquerade, Chapter 1 18 hours ago
- Niall Alexander Conceptual Mass: Gnomon by Nick Harkaway 4 days ago
- Thanks to The Last Jedi, We Finally Know What “The Force Awakens” Means 21 mins ago on
- The Full Spoiler Review of Brandon Sanderson’s Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive #3) 42 mins ago on
- “We are still Starfleet” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “The Wolf Inside” 2 hours ago on
- Starbuck’s Got A Gun (and A Cigar): Gender in Battlestar Galactica 2 hours ago on
- SF 101: Why BSG needed the spaceships and killer robots 3 hours ago on
- Gonzo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG Has Everything You’d Ever Want 3 hours ago on
- “We are still Starfleet” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “The Wolf Inside” 3 hours ago on