In honor of International Apostrophe Day, August 16, we’re going to talk about apostrophes in science fiction and fantasy names. Why do authors think apostrophes make characters seem exotic? Who started it? And why do some people find it annoying?
You know how teachers tell writers to “consider the audience” and business trainers tell writers to think about “what’s appropriate for a given writing situation”? Well, it occurred to me the other day that what this all means is that good writers need to be more like empathic metamorphs.
Metamorphs, as featured in the Star Trek (TNG) episode “The Perfect Mate,” are empathic beings who live to please others and become the perfect mate by knowing exactly what their partners want.
In Star Trek, the allure of the metamorph is about sex and romance, of course, but if you apply the same concepts to writing, it can be about safety.
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: Queer Retellings with Women 6 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Peek at a Page from Brandon Sanderson’s “Deleted” Wheel of Time Novella for Unfettered III 7 hours ago
- Stefan Raets Martian Overrider Blues: Thin Air by Richard K. Morgan 7 hours ago
- Bogi Takács QUILTBAG+ Speculative Classics: Mindscape by Andrea Hairston 8 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach and Emily Asher-Perrin We Can’t Stop Yelling About Daredevil! Here Are Some of Our Favorite Favorite Moments from Season Three 9 hours ago
- Alyssa Palombo Five Spooky Books Set in Real Places 10 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter Boba Fett vs. Zombies and Other Bonkers Moments from Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear 11 hours ago
- We Can’t Stop Yelling About Daredevil! Here Are Some of Our Favorite Favorite Moments from Season Three 1 min ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, Chapter 4 (part 2) and Chapter 5 3 mins ago on
- She Changed the Universe: Doctor Who, “Rosa” 54 mins ago on
- 10 Questions We Hope Are Answered in Sarah J. Maas’s Kingdom of Ash 1 hour ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Fifty-Two 1 hour ago on
- Boba Fett vs. Zombies and Other Bonkers Moments from Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear 2 hours ago on
- Abuse and Revenge in Grimms’ Fairy Tales: “The Juniper Tree” 2 hours ago on