In honor of International Apostrophe Day, August 16, we’re going to talk about apostrophes in science fiction and fantasy names. Why do authors think apostrophes make characters seem exotic? Who started it? And why do some people find it annoying?
You know how teachers tell writers to “consider the audience” and business trainers tell writers to think about “what’s appropriate for a given writing situation”? Well, it occurred to me the other day that what this all means is that good writers need to be more like empathic metamorphs.
Metamorphs, as featured in the Star Trek (TNG) episode “The Perfect Mate,” are empathic beings who live to please others and become the perfect mate by knowing exactly what their partners want.
In Star Trek, the allure of the metamorph is about sex and romance, of course, but if you apply the same concepts to writing, it can be about safety.
- Anne M. Pillsworth and Ruthanna Emrys Turning the Cyclopean Up to 11: Fiona Maeve Geist’s “Red Stars / White Snow / Black Metal” 15 hours ago
- Maya Gittelman Redemption, Remaking, and Revolution: Natalie C. Parker’s Steel Tide 16 hours ago
- Bogi Takács QUILTBAG+ Speculative Classics: A, A′ [A, A Prime] by Moto Hagio, Translated by Rachel Thorn 16 hours ago
- Alvaro Zinos-Amaro Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Reread — Section 31: Abyss 17 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket A Single Mom Raises a Superhero in the First Trailer for Raising Dion 18 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Damon Lindelof Reveals Lots of Worldbuilding Details in New Watchmen Show 18 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach A Quiet Hero’s Journey: Processing Trauma in Fantasy 18 hours ago
- “It’s our mission that doesn’t make sense” — Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 55 mins ago on
- Spock and the Myth of “Emotion Versus Logic” 57 mins ago on
- Sleeps With Monsters: Is This the Book I Wanted to Read? 3 hours ago on
- V.E. Schwab’s The Archived Book Series Being Adapted for The CW 4 hours ago on
- Hugo Nominees: 1968 4 hours ago on
- Spock and the Myth of “Emotion Versus Logic” 5 hours ago on
- Hey, Star Wars: Episode IX — Don’t Retcon Rey Into a Skywalker 7 hours ago on