We’re excited to share an excerpt from Marina Lostetter’s The Helm of Midnight, the first novel in a new dark epic fantasy trilogy—publishing April 13th with Tor Books.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Deep in the heart of an alien mountain range, I.C.C. has lain dormant, its ships silent, for eons. Now, after one hundred thousand years, the AI is awakening. Someone is roaming the convoy’s halls—someone that isn’t human….
The journey that began with Noumenon and Noumenon Infinity continues in Marina J. Lostetter’s Noumenon Ultra—available now from Harper Voyager. Read an excerpt below!
In honor of Earth Day, Harper Voyager authors are sharing their scientific knowledge in the form of the virtual science fair—follow the conversation on Twitter at #HVsciencefair.
Artificial intelligence has long been a staple of science fiction, but now we’re at the turning point where it’s quickly becoming our reality. Marvin, the mopey robot from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, was probably once considered by readers to be a laugh-fetching gag, but now it’s prudent to ask how modeling such emotions can affect how AI is perceived. Johnny Cabs and Rosie the Robots are practically on our doorsteps, but what will their presence mean for our economy? Certainly, some human job loss will occur, but will having AI in the workforce be a boon to other entrepreneurs and creators?
Authors Marina J. Lostetter (Noumenon) and Nicky Drayden (The Prey of Gods) set out to answer these questions and more. Both of their novels feature sentient AIs—Lostetter’s a super intelligent interstellar convoy charged with the transport and care of a volatile crew, and Drayden’s a secretly sentient personal robot whose misguided antics might spark a liberation movement. In an attempt to separate science from science fiction, these two AI fanatics gathered an engineer, a hacker, and a futurist to pick their brains about the minds of tomorrow.
- JR. Forasteros Fear of Desire: Dracula, Purity Culture, and the Sins of the Church 4 mins ago
- Tor.com A Modern Gothic Ghost Story: Revealing Katrina Monroe’s They Drown Our Daughters 1 hour ago
- Judith Tarr Alternate Historical Fantasy Done Right in The Shadow of Albion 19 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Ryka Aoki’s Light from Uncommon Stars Sweepstakes! 20 hours ago
- Holly Kybett Smith 13 Spooky Poems to Get You in the Mood for Halloween 20 hours ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Welp, We Finally Have a Movie That Sure Seems Like Dune 21 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Seventh Season Overview 21 hours ago
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Seventh Season Overview 1 min ago on
- 13 Spooky Poems to Get You in the Mood for Halloween 3 mins ago on
- Let the Right One In Understands the Dark Maelstrom That Is Love 3 mins ago on
- Welp, We Finally Have a Movie That Sure Seems Like Dune 33 mins ago on
- Seven Thrilling Murder Mysteries With SFF Flair 2 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Seventh Season Overview 3 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Seventh Season Overview 4 hours ago on