We’re excited to share an excerpt from Marina Lostetter’s The Helm of Midnight, the first novel in a new dark epic fantasy trilogy—publishing April 13th with Tor Books.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Deep in the heart of an alien mountain range, I.C.C. has lain dormant, its ships silent, for eons. Now, after one hundred thousand years, the AI is awakening. Someone is roaming the convoy’s halls—someone that isn’t human….
The journey that began with Noumenon and Noumenon Infinity continues in Marina J. Lostetter’s Noumenon Ultra—available now from Harper Voyager. Read an excerpt below!
In honor of Earth Day, Harper Voyager authors are sharing their scientific knowledge in the form of the virtual science fair—follow the conversation on Twitter at #HVsciencefair.
Artificial intelligence has long been a staple of science fiction, but now we’re at the turning point where it’s quickly becoming our reality. Marvin, the mopey robot from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, was probably once considered by readers to be a laugh-fetching gag, but now it’s prudent to ask how modeling such emotions can affect how AI is perceived. Johnny Cabs and Rosie the Robots are practically on our doorsteps, but what will their presence mean for our economy? Certainly, some human job loss will occur, but will having AI in the workforce be a boon to other entrepreneurs and creators?
Authors Marina J. Lostetter (Noumenon) and Nicky Drayden (The Prey of Gods) set out to answer these questions and more. Both of their novels feature sentient AIs—Lostetter’s a super intelligent interstellar convoy charged with the transport and care of a volatile crew, and Drayden’s a secretly sentient personal robot whose misguided antics might spark a liberation movement. In an attempt to separate science from science fiction, these two AI fanatics gathered an engineer, a hacker, and a futurist to pick their brains about the minds of tomorrow.
- Judith Tarr Understanding Horses: Caring for Wise Elders 17 hours ago
- Tor.com Devi Pillai to Become President and Publisher, Tom Doherty Associates 17 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Netflix’s Animated Anthology Series Love, Death + Robots Returns May 14th 17 hours ago
- Joan He Read an Excerpt From Joan He’s The Ones We’re Meant to Find 18 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 19 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll A Game of Stones: Five Novels Set in Asteroid Belts 21 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak First Trailer for Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Is Rife With Action 21 hours ago
- Netflix’s Animated Anthology Series Love, Death + Robots Returns May 14th 41 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 1 hour ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 3 hours ago on
- The Lens of History: Donald Kingsbury’s Psychohistorical Crisis 3 hours ago on
- A 30-Year-Old Soviet Adaptation of The Fellowship of the Ring Is Available for Your Viewing Pleasure 5 hours ago on
- Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory 5 hours ago on
- A Game of Stones: Five Novels Set in Asteroid Belts 5 hours ago on