When the Director of Research for Google compares one of the most highly regarded linguists of all time to Bill O’Reilly, you know it is on. Recently, Peter Norvig, Google’s Director of Research and co-author of the most popular artificial intelligence textbook in the world, wrote a webpage extensively criticizing Noam Chomsky, arguably the most influential linguist in the world. Their disagreement points to a revolution in artificial intelligence that, like many revolutions, threatens to destroy as much as it improves. Chomsky, one of the old guard, wishes for an elegant theory of intelligence and language that looks past human fallibility to try to see simple structure underneath. Norvig, meanwhile, represents the new philosophy: truth by statistics, and simplicity be damned. Disillusioned with simple models, or even Chomsky’s relatively complex models, Norvig has of late been arguing that with enough data, attempting to fit any simple model at all is pointless. The disagreement between the two men points to how the rise of the Internet poses the same challenge to artificial intelligence that it has to human intelligence: why learn anything when you can look it up?
Last night was the thrilling conclusion to the man-machine matchup on Jeopardy!, pitting two of the best contestants ever against IBM’s contestant, Watson. As soon as I saw that one category was “One Buck or Less,” and another had a theme of keys on a keyboard, I thought, “Now this is a matchup!”
In case you missed it the first two nights, tonight is the final human vs. machine match on Jeopardy! Watson, a question-answering AI three years in the making, has been pitted against two of the best human players of all time. And it is cleaning up.
As an AI guy, I feel a little like I’m watching the moon landing, and a little like somebody is showing embarrassing home movies.
- Leah Schnelbach Nightflyers Used Alien‘s Camera Lenses for Maximum Terror in Space 2 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Check Out the New Trailer for Syfy’s Sci-Fi-Horror Hybrid, Nightflyers! 3 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Star Wars: The Clone Wars Has Been Revived-New Season Incoming! 4 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Jodie Whittaker Made Her Own Props For Doctor Who Audition 5 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin “Would you be my new best friends?” Check Out the First Trailer For Season 11 of Doctor Who! 5 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Maze Master Sweepstakes! 7 hours ago
- Liz Bourke Magical Hypocrisy: Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell 7 hours ago
- Five Novels Dealing With Time Travel 1 min ago on
- “F— Batman”: The First Titans Trailer is Insane…ly Bad 20 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 42 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 50 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 55 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 60 mins ago on
- Politics and Fairy Tales: Early Versions of “The Three Little Pigs” 1 hour ago on