The assassin slung the bag concealing his weapon over his shoulder and walked down the steps to the rickety wooden jetty. He waited as the Sydney Harbour ferry puttered into Neutral Bay, cast on and then cast off at the likewise tiny quay on the opposite bank, and crossed the hundred or so meters to Kurraba Point. He boarded, waved a hand gloved in artificial skin across the fare-taker, and settled on a bench near the prow, with the weapon in its blue nylon zipped bag balanced across his knees.
Fiction and Excerpts 
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife’s grave. Then I joined the army.
The horror of war is what it does to civilians. The pity of war is what it does to soldiers: the young lives lost and young bodies maimed. What might it be like to grow old, to have had your life, and then to be given a second life, and a second youth, as a soldier? Even without the offer of a third life as a civilian colonist if you—improbably—survive your stint, it’s a deal many would take.
- Sweepstakes Monsters of the Week Sweepstakes! 9 hours ago
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: Atmospheric and Compelling Stories 10 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Nnedi Okorafor’s First Nonfiction Book, Broken Places & Outer Spaces, Coming in 2019 10 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach Netflix’s The Haunting of Hill House Finds the Beating Heart of Shirley Jackson’s Tale 11 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket V.E. Schwab’s Out-of-Print Debut Novel The Near Witch Gets Reissued 11 hours ago
- Renay Williams A Non-Spoiler Look at John Scalzi’s The Consuming Fire 12 hours ago
- S.L. Huang Reading Around the World: Five Books from Five Different Continents 13 hours ago
- The Dresden Files Reread: Book 6, Blood Rites 38 mins ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, Chapter 4 (Part 1) 56 mins ago on
- Black Lightning Returns with a Focus on Consequences 2 hours ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, Chapter 4 (Part 1) 2 hours ago on
- Reading the Wheel of Time: Cracks in the Wall in Robert Jordan’s The Great Hunt (Part 12) 2 hours ago on
- Reading the Wheel of Time: Cracks in the Wall in Robert Jordan’s The Great Hunt (Part 12) 3 hours ago on
- Nnedi Okorafor’s First Nonfiction Book, Broken Places & Outer Spaces, Coming in 2019 3 hours ago on