The assassin slung the bag concealing his weapon over his shoulder and walked down the steps to the rickety wooden jetty. He waited as the Sydney Harbour ferry puttered into Neutral Bay, cast on and then cast off at the likewise tiny quay on the opposite bank, and crossed the hundred or so meters to Kurraba Point. He boarded, waved a hand gloved in artificial skin across the fare-taker, and settled on a bench near the prow, with the weapon in its blue nylon zipped bag balanced across his knees.
Fiction and Excerpts 
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife’s grave. Then I joined the army.
The horror of war is what it does to civilians. The pity of war is what it does to soldiers: the young lives lost and young bodies maimed. What might it be like to grow old, to have had your life, and then to be given a second life, and a second youth, as a soldier? Even without the offer of a third life as a civilian colonist if you—improbably—survive your stint, it’s a deal many would take.
- Natalie Zutter Jumanji: The Next Level Is Fun But Ultimately Forgettable 8 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Back to the Drawing Board — Star Trek’s “The Girl Who Made the Stars” and “Ephraim and Dot” 10 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket BBC’s Dracula Comes to Netflix January 4, 2020 10 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin The Mandalorian Remembers Why Hanging Out With College Buddies Is a Bad Idea in Chapter 6, “The Prisoner” 12 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido “His name is Captain Sparklefingers!” — Shazam! 13 hours ago
- Keith Rice 10 SFF Audiobooks for Holiday Traveling 14 hours ago
- Molly Templeton “What in the hell did you do?” The Expanse: “New Terra” and “Jetsam” 15 hours ago
- “His name is Captain Sparklefingers!” — Shazam! 44 mins ago on
- SFF Needs More Incompetent Autocrats 49 mins ago on
- Creating Gods Through Science and Magic 2 hours ago on
- Download a Free Ebook of Wild Cards I: Expanded Edition, Edited by George R. R. Martin, Before Dec. 14! 3 hours ago on
- The Mandalorian Remembers Why Hanging Out With College Buddies Is a Bad Idea in Chapter 6, “The Prisoner” 3 hours ago on
- “His name is Captain Sparklefingers!” — Shazam! 3 hours ago on
- Creating Gods Through Science and Magic 5 hours ago on