The assassin slung the bag concealing his weapon over his shoulder and walked down the steps to the rickety wooden jetty. He waited as the Sydney Harbour ferry puttered into Neutral Bay, cast on and then cast off at the likewise tiny quay on the opposite bank, and crossed the hundred or so meters to Kurraba Point. He boarded, waved a hand gloved in artificial skin across the fare-taker, and settled on a bench near the prow, with the weapon in its blue nylon zipped bag balanced across his knees.
Fiction and Excerpts 
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife’s grave. Then I joined the army.
The horror of war is what it does to civilians. The pity of war is what it does to soldiers: the young lives lost and young bodies maimed. What might it be like to grow old, to have had your life, and then to be given a second life, and a second youth, as a soldier? Even without the offer of a third life as a civilian colonist if you—improbably—survive your stint, it’s a deal many would take.
- Stefan Raets Not Just Another Fantasy Assassin: the Vlad Taltos Novels by Steven Brust 11 hours ago
- Tor.com Tor.com Publishing Wants to Tell You About the Last Survivors of Innsmouth 12 hours ago
- Alex Brown “There Is Juju in This Book”: Exploring Nnedi Okorafor’s Akata Witch series 13 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Robert Jordan Birthday Sweepstakes! 14 hours ago
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: My Year In Queer 15 hours ago
- Erin Roberts How to Tell If You’re Living In a Dystopia — And Why It Matters 16 hours ago
- Brandon Sanderson Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 17 hours ago
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 51 mins ago on
- The Silmarillion Primer: The Creation of Life, Eä, and Everything 1 hour ago on
- The Power of Princesses: Robin McKinley’s The Door in the Hedge 1 hour ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 2 hours ago on
- “This is so f***ing cool!” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “Choose Your Pain” 2 hours ago on
- Tor.com Publishing Wants to Tell You About the Last Survivors of Innsmouth 2 hours ago on
- Writing SFF Horses: Notes on Breeds and Riding 2 hours ago on