The assassin slung the bag concealing his weapon over his shoulder and walked down the steps to the rickety wooden jetty. He waited as the Sydney Harbour ferry puttered into Neutral Bay, cast on and then cast off at the likewise tiny quay on the opposite bank, and crossed the hundred or so meters to Kurraba Point. He boarded, waved a hand gloved in artificial skin across the fare-taker, and settled on a bench near the prow, with the weapon in its blue nylon zipped bag balanced across his knees.
Fiction and Excerpts 
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife’s grave. Then I joined the army.
The horror of war is what it does to civilians. The pity of war is what it does to soldiers: the young lives lost and young bodies maimed. What might it be like to grow old, to have had your life, and then to be given a second life, and a second youth, as a soldier? Even without the offer of a third life as a civilian colonist if you—improbably—survive your stint, it’s a deal many would take.
- Olesya Salnikova Gilmore Read an Excerpt From The Witch and the Tsar 15 hours ago
- Vanessa Armstrong Watch Kaiju Movies with John Carpenter during Shout! Factory’s Masters of Monsters Weekend This November 15 hours ago
- Cassie Schulz Love, Death, and The Gothic in Belladonna by Adalyn Grace 16 hours ago
- Vanessa Armstrong Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes to Start Production, with The Witcher’s Freya Allan on Board as Non-Ape 16 hours ago
- Molly Templeton Timothée Chalamet Does a Lot of Murder in the Trailer for Bones and All 16 hours ago
- Alissa Burger Books of Secret Knowledge: The Diary and The Yearbook 16 hours ago
- Molly Templeton Jen Is Not In a Teachable Mood In She-Hulk’s “The Retreat” 17 hours ago
- Read The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters Three and Four 11 mins ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: The Biggest Battle Yet in Robert Jordan’s Lord of Chaos (Part 32) 13 mins ago on
- “Just keep circling…” — Star Trek: Lower Decks: “Hear All, Trust Nothing” 57 mins ago on
- Victory Citrus Is Sweet 1 hour ago on
- Jen Is Not In a Teachable Mood In She-Hulk’s “The Retreat” 2 hours ago on
- Malazan Re-read of the Fallen: The Bonehunters, Chapter Twenty-Four 2 hours ago on
- What Is “Curio Fiction”? Finding a Name for a Fantastical Subgenre 2 hours ago on