The assassin slung the bag concealing his weapon over his shoulder and walked down the steps to the rickety wooden jetty. He waited as the Sydney Harbour ferry puttered into Neutral Bay, cast on and then cast off at the likewise tiny quay on the opposite bank, and crossed the hundred or so meters to Kurraba Point. He boarded, waved a hand gloved in artificial skin across the fare-taker, and settled on a bench near the prow, with the weapon in its blue nylon zipped bag balanced across his knees.
Fiction and Excerpts 
I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife’s grave. Then I joined the army.
The horror of war is what it does to civilians. The pity of war is what it does to soldiers: the young lives lost and young bodies maimed. What might it be like to grow old, to have had your life, and then to be given a second life, and a second youth, as a soldier? Even without the offer of a third life as a civilian colonist if you—improbably—survive your stint, it’s a deal many would take.
- Kate Elliott and Zoraida Córdova Reading Paper and Fire: Book 2 of the Great Library by Rachel Caine 4 hours ago
- Angie Hodapp Read an Excerpt From Sci-Fi/Horror Anthology Psi-Wars 5 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Scientific Method” 6 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll Five SFF Books Driven by Terrible Choices and Appalling Judgment 7 hours ago
- Alan Brown A Little Something Extra: Masters of the Vortex by E. E. “Doc” Smith 8 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido The Future Isn’t What it Used to Be — Star Trek: Discovery’s “Far from Home” 9 hours ago
- Dan Persons Ten Scientastic Episodes of The Venture Bros. 9 hours ago
- The Future Isn’t What it Used to Be — Star Trek: Discovery’s “Far from Home” 3 seconds ago on
- Badass Pakleds? Badass Pakleds… — Star Trek: Lower Decks: “No Small Parts” 9 mins ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: Long Journeys and Painful Emotions in Robert Jordan’s The Fires of Heaven (Part 6) 21 mins ago on
- “Oh, Frak” — Avoiding the Censors the SFF Way 22 mins ago on
- Reading Ink and Bone: Book One of the Great Library by Rachel Caine 31 mins ago on
- Five SFF Books Driven by Terrible Choices and Appalling Judgment 36 mins ago on
- Growing Up in Narnia: The Pevensies as Young Adults in The Horse and His Boy 42 mins ago on