Joining a boyband gave Tyler everything he ever dreamed of. A close-knit group of friends, the chance to model a beautiful masculinity, and a vocal implant that lets him sing even better than he did before transitioning. But deep on tour, Tyler realizes he wants more from one of his bandmates, yearns for a love that would never fit the image that has been carefully crafted for him. His manager wants him to be the heartthrob: available, wholesome, and pure. And since his manager gave Tyler his voice, he can always take it away again.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Alexander Bishop, III, has worked his whole life towards taking ownership of Bishop Laboratories. Like his grandmother and father before him, he will mold the future by molding Dociline, a drug that enables debtors to serve their terms with ease, and gives Patrons the assurance of an eager and well-behaved Docile. Alex is ready for the responsibility, but his father and the Board don’t think he is. Not when he’s rejected every financially-viable romantic relationship they’ve proposed. So, when he selects a personal Docile to prove himself, he is not at all prepared for Elisha to refuse the drug that is his family’s legacy. That would have allowed Alex to ignore the very aware debtor, with desires and a family and past. Who warms his bed and his heart. But Alex is smart and ambitious. Meticulous. A Bishop. And he will not let a debtor derail his plans.
K. M. Szpara’s Docile is a science fiction parable about love and sex, wealth and debt, abuse and power, available from Tor.com Publishing on March 3, 2020. Read the first two chapters here, and check back for additional excerpts.
Elisha Wilder is a debtor. You shouldn’t even know his surname—Third Right. It does not matter that he worked hard on his community’s farm, in the outer-counties of Maryland, so his family could fend off debt collectors and cops. Nor that he cared for his mother, who spent ten years as a Docile before him. Nor that he walked thirty miles into Baltimore city on a January night, leaving behind his good boots for his younger sister. Elisha is a debtor, but when he became Alex Bishop’s Docile he refused Dociline—refused the drug that would turn him into a polite shell of his former self, like happened to his mother. Elisha may be contracted to the scion of Bishop Laboratories, but, whether they are amidst the glittering horrors of trillionaire society or alone in bed, Elisha refuses to forget his frustration. To succumb to the pleasure and comfort, or care about Alex. To lose himself.
K. M. Szpara’s Docile is a science fiction parable about love and sex, wealth and debt, abuse and power, available from Tor.com Publishing on March 3, 2020
When I was a teenager, my mom gave me a book with a royal blue cover, raised silver lettering, and a spine so broken as to be almost illegible. A mass market paperback with yellowed pages that threatened to liberate themselves from the glue binding them and the distinct scent of old paper. Its outsides rich with phrases like “a voluptuous dream” and “unrelentingly erotic.” Its insides with blood and wine and teeth. With vampires.
I was probably too young to be reading Interview with the Vampire, but I devoured it and the seven other extant books of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles with only one lingering question: did my mom know how gay these books were?
- Molly Templeton Nicolas Cage Coldly Murders Nightmare Animatronics in the Trailer for Willy’s Wonderland 1 day ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin WandaVision Plays With Reality and Sitcom History in Its Two-Part Premiere 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak New Trailer for Apple’s For All Mankind Teases a Coming Nuclear War 1 day ago
- Tor.com All the New Horror and Genre-Bending Books Arriving in January! 1 day ago
- Tor.com Revealing The Bronzed Beasts, the Epic Conclusion to Roshani Chokshi’s Gilded Wolves Series 1 day ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Wyrd Sisters, Part V 1 day ago
- James Davis Nicoll Five Thrilling SF Stories About Patrolling Space 1 day ago
- Exploring the People of Middle-earth: Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, an Unexpected Hero 14 mins ago on
- Five Thrilling SF Stories About Patrolling Space 24 mins ago on
- “Let’s fly!” — Star Trek: Discovery Third Season Overview 35 mins ago on
- All the New Horror and Genre-Bending Books Arriving in January! 40 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Fourth Season Overview 54 mins ago on
- “Let’s fly!” — Star Trek: Discovery Third Season Overview 2 hours ago on
- Exploring the People of Middle-earth: Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, an Unexpected Hero 2 hours ago on