There’s something about science fiction and fantasy that encourages collaboration. Whether it grew from the years when genre writing was relegated to the literary shadows, and authors came together to support each other, or it’s simply a tradition that found fertile ground here, collaboratively written novels abound in the genre.
We all know the story. First we create intelligent nonhuman life, then it kills us. It’s as old as Frankenstein (though admittedly Dr. Frankenstein’s monster didn’t actually kill him, it just murdered his brother and his fiancée; he died in the Arctic, seeking revenge. But nobody would argue it had a happy ending).
Take Terminator, for example. When the global computer network Skynet becomes self-aware, its first action is to trigger a nuclear war to try and wipe out humanity. In the TV series Battlestar Galactica, humans create sentient machines, and again, extermination is the default response. In Daniel H. Wilson’s novel Robopocalypse, Archos R-14, the powerful AI, becomes self-aware, and… you guessed it, immediately begins plotting the destruction of humankind.
What is it with us? Why do we keep making evil robots, against all the evidence that it’s a bad idea? Why is this such a compelling trope in the stories we tell ourselves about the future?
- Leah Schnelbach The Man in the High Castle‘s SDCC 2018 Panel Teases a New Resistance – and a Premiere Date! 20 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Arthur Curry Gets the Worst Pep Talk Ever in First Aquaman Trailer 1 day ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Watch Billy Batson Shazam! For the First Time in New Trailer 1 day ago
- Natalie Zutter The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Trailer is the Godzilla Movie We Deserve 1 day ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Dumbledore Sees What He Wants Most in the Mirror of Erised in New Fantastic Beasts 2 Trailer! 1 day ago
- Natalie Zutter Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse Adds John Mulaney as Spider-Ham and Nicolas Cage as Spider-Man Noir 2 days ago
- Natalie Zutter Watch the First Teaser for the TV Adaptation of Thriller Podcast Homecoming 2 days ago
- Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger Renewed for Season 2 1 min ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Diplomatic Immunity, Chapter 1 4 mins ago on
- Valerian is Supposed to Be About Love — Why is it So Unromantic? 7 mins ago on
- Dumbledore Sees What He Wants Most in the Mirror of Erised in New Fantastic Beasts 2 Trailer! 8 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Vortex” 16 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Progress” 23 mins ago on
- Five Books / Series to Read if You Like The Laundry Files 3 hours ago on