There’s something about science fiction and fantasy that encourages collaboration. Whether it grew from the years when genre writing was relegated to the literary shadows, and authors came together to support each other, or it’s simply a tradition that found fertile ground here, collaboratively written novels abound in the genre.
We all know the story. First we create intelligent nonhuman life, then it kills us. It’s as old as Frankenstein (though admittedly Dr. Frankenstein’s monster didn’t actually kill him, it just murdered his brother and his fiancée; he died in the Arctic, seeking revenge. But nobody would argue it had a happy ending).
Take Terminator, for example. When the global computer network Skynet becomes self-aware, its first action is to trigger a nuclear war to try and wipe out humanity. In the TV series Battlestar Galactica, humans create sentient machines, and again, extermination is the default response. In Daniel H. Wilson’s novel Robopocalypse, Archos R-14, the powerful AI, becomes self-aware, and… you guessed it, immediately begins plotting the destruction of humankind.
What is it with us? Why do we keep making evil robots, against all the evidence that it’s a bad idea? Why is this such a compelling trope in the stories we tell ourselves about the future?
- Stubby the Rocket James Gunn Announces Full Suicide Squad Cast on Twitter–No Joker, Deadshot, Killer Croc, or Katana 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket A Demon App Predicts Your Death in Countdown Trailer 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Clifford D. Simak’s Way Station Is Heading to Netflix 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the Latest Trailer for HBO’s Watchmen Series 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Highlights from Alix E. Harrow’s r/Fantasy AMA 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Get Your First Look at Annie Wilkes In the Castle Rock Season 2 Teaser 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Entertainment Weekly Reveals 8 New Details About HBO’s His Dark Materials 2 days ago
- Reading the Wheel of Time: The Boys Confront Themselves (Kind of) in Robert Jordan’s The Shadow Rising (Part 3) 10 mins ago on
- “I have a parasite” — Venom 1 hour ago on
- Rothfuss Reread: The Wise Man’s Fear Part 26: You’re alive! 2 hours ago on
- “I have a parasite” — Venom 2 hours ago on
- Entertainment Weekly Reveals 8 New Details About HBO’s His Dark Materials 2 hours ago on
- Duty and Dystopia: Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein 4 hours ago on
- Duty and Dystopia: Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein 5 hours ago on