There’s something about science fiction and fantasy that encourages collaboration. Whether it grew from the years when genre writing was relegated to the literary shadows, and authors came together to support each other, or it’s simply a tradition that found fertile ground here, collaboratively written novels abound in the genre.
We all know the story. First we create intelligent nonhuman life, then it kills us. It’s as old as Frankenstein (though admittedly Dr. Frankenstein’s monster didn’t actually kill him, it just murdered his brother and his fiancée; he died in the Arctic, seeking revenge. But nobody would argue it had a happy ending).
Take Terminator, for example. When the global computer network Skynet becomes self-aware, its first action is to trigger a nuclear war to try and wipe out humanity. In the TV series Battlestar Galactica, humans create sentient machines, and again, extermination is the default response. In Daniel H. Wilson’s novel Robopocalypse, Archos R-14, the powerful AI, becomes self-aware, and… you guessed it, immediately begins plotting the destruction of humankind.
What is it with us? Why do we keep making evil robots, against all the evidence that it’s a bad idea? Why is this such a compelling trope in the stories we tell ourselves about the future?
- Sam J. Miller The Future of Hunger in the Age of Programmable Matter 4 mins ago
- Stefan Raets Not Just Another Fantasy Assassin: the Vlad Taltos Novels by Steven Brust 18 hours ago
- Tor.com Tor.com Publishing Wants to Tell You About the Last Survivors of Innsmouth 19 hours ago
- Alex Brown “There Is Juju in This Book”: Exploring Nnedi Okorafor’s Akata Witch series 20 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Robert Jordan Birthday Sweepstakes! 21 hours ago
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: My Year In Queer 22 hours ago
- Erin Roberts How to Tell If You’re Living In a Dystopia — And Why It Matters 23 hours ago
- Sleeps With Monsters: My Year In Queer 1 min ago on
- How to Tell If You’re Living In a Dystopia — And Why It Matters 7 mins ago on
- X-Men Meets All the Horror Tropes in The New Mutants Trailer 8 mins ago on
- X-Men Meets All the Horror Tropes in The New Mutants Trailer 10 mins ago on
- “This is so f***ing cool!” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “Choose Your Pain” 16 mins ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 17 mins ago on
- X-Men Meets All the Horror Tropes in The New Mutants Trailer 24 mins ago on