There’s something about science fiction and fantasy that encourages collaboration. Whether it grew from the years when genre writing was relegated to the literary shadows, and authors came together to support each other, or it’s simply a tradition that found fertile ground here, collaboratively written novels abound in the genre.
We all know the story. First we create intelligent nonhuman life, then it kills us. It’s as old as Frankenstein (though admittedly Dr. Frankenstein’s monster didn’t actually kill him, it just murdered his brother and his fiancée; he died in the Arctic, seeking revenge. But nobody would argue it had a happy ending).
Take Terminator, for example. When the global computer network Skynet becomes self-aware, its first action is to trigger a nuclear war to try and wipe out humanity. In the TV series Battlestar Galactica, humans create sentient machines, and again, extermination is the default response. In Daniel H. Wilson’s novel Robopocalypse, Archos R-14, the powerful AI, becomes self-aware, and… you guessed it, immediately begins plotting the destruction of humankind.
What is it with us? Why do we keep making evil robots, against all the evidence that it’s a bad idea? Why is this such a compelling trope in the stories we tell ourselves about the future?
- Sarah Maria Griffin Learning Narrative Structure from Video Games 2 days ago
- Max Gladstone Five Books Featuring Weird Spies 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket 6 Theories About Star Wars: Episode IX 2 days ago
- Keith DeCandido Trapped in a World They Never Made — Howard the Duck and Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2 days ago
- Austin Gilkeson The Gods and Spirits (and Totoros) of Miyazaki’s Fantasy Worlds 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Neil Gaiman Reads “The Raven” by Edgar Allan Poe 2 days ago
- Aliya Whiteley Starting with the Womb: Octavia E Butler’s Dawn 3 days ago
- Five Books That Blend Science and Fantasy 13 mins ago on
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Premiere: Agents in Spaaaaaace! 34 mins ago on
- “We are still Starfleet” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “The Wolf Inside” 1 hour ago on
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Premiere: Agents in Spaaaaaace! 2 hours ago on
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Komarr, Chapters 3-5 3 hours ago on
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 Premiere: Agents in Spaaaaaace! 3 hours ago on
- “We are still Starfleet” — Star Trek Discovery‘s “The Wolf Inside” 3 hours ago on