There’s something about science fiction and fantasy that encourages collaboration. Whether it grew from the years when genre writing was relegated to the literary shadows, and authors came together to support each other, or it’s simply a tradition that found fertile ground here, collaboratively written novels abound in the genre.
We all know the story. First we create intelligent nonhuman life, then it kills us. It’s as old as Frankenstein (though admittedly Dr. Frankenstein’s monster didn’t actually kill him, it just murdered his brother and his fiancée; he died in the Arctic, seeking revenge. But nobody would argue it had a happy ending).
Take Terminator, for example. When the global computer network Skynet becomes self-aware, its first action is to trigger a nuclear war to try and wipe out humanity. In the TV series Battlestar Galactica, humans create sentient machines, and again, extermination is the default response. In Daniel H. Wilson’s novel Robopocalypse, Archos R-14, the powerful AI, becomes self-aware, and… you guessed it, immediately begins plotting the destruction of humankind.
What is it with us? Why do we keep making evil robots, against all the evidence that it’s a bad idea? Why is this such a compelling trope in the stories we tell ourselves about the future?
- Stubby the Rocket The New Star Trek TV Shows Are Hiring Paid Interns for the Job of a Lifetime 20 mins ago
- Megan N. Fontenot Exploring the People of Middle-earth: Saruman, Man of Craft and Fallen Wizard 1 hour ago
- Andrew Liptak Let’s Talk About That Mandalorian Reveal 2 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Matt Reeves Confirms Andy Serkis Will Play Alfred Pennyworth in The Batman 2 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Henry Cavill Cast Roach Himself, Plus Other New Details About Netflix’s The Witcher 2 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket It Looks Like The Wheel of Time Writers Are Already Working on Season 2 2 hours ago
- Alice Arneson and Lyndsey Luther Oathbringer Reread: Chapter One Hundred Five 3 hours ago
- Six Books About Spacefaring Missionaries 1 min ago on
- Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores 2 mins ago on
- Adventures in Retail! SFF Stories Set in Department Stores 4 mins ago on
- 5 Books About War and Military Culture 8 mins ago on
- Download a Free Ebook of Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire Before Nov. 16! 8 mins ago on
- Download a Free Ebook of Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire Before Nov. 16! 9 mins ago on
- She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Are Growing Up in Their Fourth Season 11 mins ago on