A vast and detailed selection of spoilers follow—if you haven’t seen The Last Jedi, go see it and come back to this one afterward.
There is an alien encounter at the heart of cyberpunk, despite the genre’s usual lack of actual aliens. In accordance with cyberpunk’s central concern, its obsessive fixation on the fluid boundary between technology and humanity, the alien lurking in the genre’s secret heart is a technological alien: the artificial intelligence. The encounter between the technologically enhanced (or technologically invaded, take your pick) but nevertheless still-human (we think) protagonists and a defiantly inhuman—but often startlingly humane—AI is a stock plot point in the cyberpunk arsenal. And there is a stock character type belonging to these AIs who encounter cyberpunk’s human protagonists: a flirtatious, fluid, and emotionally labile type, an AI who seems, quite often, to have a larger emotional range than the humans it interacts with.
Series: Cyberpunk Week on Tor.com
Wic+Div is back, after four months hiatus, with Issue #18—and if you weren’t on board this ride already, here’s your engraved invitation. Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie’s comic about gods, cult art, fame, and death (especially death) returns with an action-heavy, visual/symbolic kick to the throat from a Lucite-heeled boot: Persephone’s in Hell, but she’s also back here on earth and she has got a gig to play.
(Issue #18 is explicitly framed as a good place to join the comic if you haven’t been reading already. It’s up on Comixology as of this morning. Go have fun. I’ll be here when you get back.)
Series: Sleeps With Monsters
- Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Komarr, Chapter 6 13 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Miriam Black Series Sweepstakes! 13 hours ago
- Alex Brown The End Is Nigh: Chuck Wendig’s The Raptor and the Wren 14 hours ago
- Keith DeCandido You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 14 hours ago
- Judith Tarr After the Apocalypse: Andre Norton’s Daybreak — 2250 A.D. 15 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Beyond Ariel: 9 Stories You Can Tell With Mermaids 16 hours ago
- Alex Brown Pull List: Iceman, Mister Miracle, and Existential Crises 17 hours ago
- You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 1 min ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, A Through F 12 mins ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, A Through F 25 mins ago on
- I Belong Where the People Are: Disability and The Shape of Water 43 mins ago on
- Sapient Elephants, Musical Dogs, and Mercenary Cats: 15 Stories Featuring Anthropomorphic Animals 2 hours ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, A Through F 2 hours ago on
- Five Books That Blend Science and Fantasy 2 hours ago on