A vast and detailed selection of spoilers follow—if you haven’t seen The Last Jedi, go see it and come back to this one afterward.
There is an alien encounter at the heart of cyberpunk, despite the genre’s usual lack of actual aliens. In accordance with cyberpunk’s central concern, its obsessive fixation on the fluid boundary between technology and humanity, the alien lurking in the genre’s secret heart is a technological alien: the artificial intelligence. The encounter between the technologically enhanced (or technologically invaded, take your pick) but nevertheless still-human (we think) protagonists and a defiantly inhuman—but often startlingly humane—AI is a stock plot point in the cyberpunk arsenal. And there is a stock character type belonging to these AIs who encounter cyberpunk’s human protagonists: a flirtatious, fluid, and emotionally labile type, an AI who seems, quite often, to have a larger emotional range than the humans it interacts with.
Series: Cyberpunk Week on Tor.com
Wic+Div is back, after four months hiatus, with Issue #18—and if you weren’t on board this ride already, here’s your engraved invitation. Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie’s comic about gods, cult art, fame, and death (especially death) returns with an action-heavy, visual/symbolic kick to the throat from a Lucite-heeled boot: Persephone’s in Hell, but she’s also back here on earth and she has got a gig to play.
(Issue #18 is explicitly framed as a good place to join the comic if you haven’t been reading already. It’s up on Comixology as of this morning. Go have fun. I’ll be here when you get back.)
Series: Sleeps With Monsters
- Natalie Zutter Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse Adds John Mulaney as Spider-Ham and Nicolas Cage as Spider-Man Noir 1 hour ago
- Natalie Zutter Watch the First Teaser for the TV Adaptation of Thriller Podcast Homecoming 2 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger Renewed for Season 2 2 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter Joss Whedon is Rebooting Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a Black Lead 3 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter Watch a Behind-the-Scenes Look at The Tick Season 2 3 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter The Expanse Season 4 to Return in 2019 4 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter Watch the First Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass 5 hours ago
- Joss Whedon is Rebooting Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a Black Lead 11 mins ago on
- The Expanse Season 4 to Return in 2019 1 hour ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 1 hour ago on
- Rekindling Planetary Romance: Old Mars and Old Venus, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois 2 hours ago on
- 15 Rituals The Tor.com Office Has Developed 3 hours ago on
- Captain Pike Wants the Crew to Have Fun in Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Trailer 3 hours ago on
- New Hardcover Editions of Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti Trilogy Coming This July 3 hours ago on