A vast and detailed selection of spoilers follow—if you haven’t seen The Last Jedi, go see it and come back to this one afterward.
There is an alien encounter at the heart of cyberpunk, despite the genre’s usual lack of actual aliens. In accordance with cyberpunk’s central concern, its obsessive fixation on the fluid boundary between technology and humanity, the alien lurking in the genre’s secret heart is a technological alien: the artificial intelligence. The encounter between the technologically enhanced (or technologically invaded, take your pick) but nevertheless still-human (we think) protagonists and a defiantly inhuman—but often startlingly humane—AI is a stock plot point in the cyberpunk arsenal. And there is a stock character type belonging to these AIs who encounter cyberpunk’s human protagonists: a flirtatious, fluid, and emotionally labile type, an AI who seems, quite often, to have a larger emotional range than the humans it interacts with.
Series: Cyberpunk Week on Tor.com
Wic+Div is back, after four months hiatus, with Issue #18—and if you weren’t on board this ride already, here’s your engraved invitation. Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie’s comic about gods, cult art, fame, and death (especially death) returns with an action-heavy, visual/symbolic kick to the throat from a Lucite-heeled boot: Persephone’s in Hell, but she’s also back here on earth and she has got a gig to play.
(Issue #18 is explicitly framed as a good place to join the comic if you haven’t been reading already. It’s up on Comixology as of this morning. Go have fun. I’ll be here when you get back.)
Series: Sleeps With Monsters
- Nick Courage Five Books With Deadly Pop Music 22 hours ago
- Charles Soule The Word-Worlds of Neal Stephenson’s Anathem 24 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido “I’m not the bad guy” — Daredevil 1 day ago
- Tor.com Fractured Bonds: Revealing Kim Wilkins’ Sisters of the Fire 1 day ago
- Tor.com The Wheel of Time Named One of America’s 100 Most Beloved Books 1 day ago
- Brandon O'Brien Black Lightning: The Family That Fights Together, Stays Together 1 day ago
- Jeff LaSala The Frankenstein Chronicles Is What Grimdark Should Be 1 day ago
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Thirteen 16 mins ago on
- Never Let Mei Go — The Expanse: “IFF” 17 mins ago on
- “I’m not the bad guy” — Daredevil 23 mins ago on
- The Wheel of Time Named One of America’s 100 Most Beloved Books 32 mins ago on
- The Wheel of Time Named One of America’s 100 Most Beloved Books 44 mins ago on
- The Barbarians: Conan Without Conan 50 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Thirteen 56 mins ago on