David Wong (pseudonym of author and Cracked.com senior editor Jason Pargin) is back in action on another brilliant and ridiculous adventure in an undisclosed American small town that’s infested with scary, scary things. This Book is Full of Spiders. Seriously, Dude, Don’t Touch It is the hilarious, twisted, and heartfelt follow-up to the cult classic John Dies at the End. Both novels follow David and John; a couple of twenty-something college dropouts working at a video rental store by day, and battling inter-dimensional monsters by night. This time around, the monsters are a wild horde of parasitic spider-like fiends sometimes called “spider creatures,” sometimes “spiders,” sometimes “those f*cking spider monsters.”
If your brain is anything like my brain then the part of your brain reserved for thinking about outer space is a mess. It’s probably cluttered with things like the moon landing footage, pics from Curiosity, clips from
Farscape, the cover of The Little Prince, that Smashing Pumpkins music video, and so on. On top of all that, looking up at a sky full of stars prompts all of the big questions: Why are we here? Why is everything in the
universe moving away from everything else at a constantly increasing pace?
And why won’t astronomers acknowledge Pluto as a planet when I know it’s
one in my heart?
Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Tracy K. Smith doesn’t have answers. She
doesn’t try to reconcile the messes in our heads. In Life on Mars she celebrates our confusing, question-riddled relationship with the universe.
Series: Genre in the Mainstream
- Judith Tarr Where Space Adventure Meets Good Old Political SF: Andre Norton’s Catseye 43 mins ago
- Tor.com LeVar Burton Reads “Welcome To Your Authentic Indian Experience(TM)” by Rebecca Roanhorse 2 hours ago
- Alex Brown Pull List: Queering Canon with Doctor Aphra 3 hours ago
- Brian Switek Which Dinosaurs Would Be Effective on the Battlefield? 4 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll Classic Sci-Fi Star Systems Keep Getting Ruined by Science 5 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach The Man in the High Castle’s SDCC 2018 Panel Teases a New Resistance — and a Premiere Date! 2 days ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Arthur Curry Gets the Worst Pep Talk Ever in First Aquaman Trailer 2 days ago
- Classic Sci-Fi Star Systems Keep Getting Ruined by Science 1 min ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 1 min ago on
- Where Space Adventure Meets Good Old Political SF: Andre Norton’s Catseye 2 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 7 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Interludes One, Two, and Three 9 mins ago on
- Where Space Adventure Meets Good Old Political SF: Andre Norton’s Catseye 13 mins ago on
- Where Space Adventure Meets Good Old Political SF: Andre Norton’s Catseye 19 mins ago on