The African Speculative Fiction Society have announced their shortlists, including The Ilube Nommo Award for Best Speculative Fiction Novel by an African and the shortlists for Nommos in the Novella, Short Story, and Graphic Novel categories. We’re pleased to report that two Tor.com Publishing titles, Binti: Home and The Murders of Molly Southbourne, have been included.
Click through to see the shortlists, and congratulations to all the nominees!
- Our Memory Like Dust, Gavin Chait (Doubleday)
- The Real, Masha du Toit (CreateSpace Publishing)
- Fever, Deon Meyer (Grove/Atlantic, Inc.)
- Akata Warrior, Nnedi Okorafor (Penguin Young Readers Group)
- After the Flare, Deji Olokotun (The Unnamed Press)
- Beasts Made of Night, Tochi Onyebuchi (Penguin Young Readers Group)
- Binti: Home, Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com Publishing)
- Fallow, Sofia Samatar (Included in Tender, Small Beer Press)
- The Murders of Molly Southbourne, Tade Thompson (Tor.com Publishing)
- “On the Other Side of the Sea,” Nerine Dorman
- “A Door Ajar, ” Sibongile Fisher
- “Read Before Use,” Chinelo Onwualu
- “Snake Story,” Henrietta Rose-Innes
- “The Regression Test,” Wole Talabi
- Eru, Writers and artists, Tobe Ezeogu & Ozo Ezeogu (www.thecomicrepublic.com)
- Guardian Prime Genesis, Writer, Wale Awelenje, Artist, Jide Martin (www.thecomicrepublic.com)
- Hero Kakere, Writer and artist Tobe Ezeogu, Artist Kelechi Issac, (www.thecomicrepublic.com)
- Ireti Bidemi, Michael Balogun and Adeleye Yusuf (www.thecomicrepublic.com)
- Lake of Tears, Writer, Kwabena Ofei, Artist, Setor Fiadzigbey (http://lakeoftearsghana.com)
- Quest & the Sign of the Shining Beast, Writer, Robert S Malan, Artist, John Cockshaw
The Nommos are named for a pair of twins in Dogon cosmology who can take a variety of forms, including appearing on land as fish who walk on their tails. You can find more information on the awards over at the ASFS site!