New York Comic-Con 2016 filled Manhattan’s Javits Center with cosplayers, comics enthusiasts, and fandoms of every stripe! We’ve rounded up all the news, trailers, and some of our favorite cosplay from the Con.
Comics & Books!
- Timothy Zahn said, “I’ve got a book coming out next April that deals with a brand new character from Star Wars Rebels…” and the room began to vibrate! Molly Templeton reports on the Star Wars Writers Roundtable with Zahn, James Luceno, Kieron Gillen, Charles Soule, and Chuck Wendig!
- Marvel’s Ta-Nehisi Coates, DC’s Steve Orlando, and indie comics writer Tee Vixen Franklin engaged in a thoughtful, wide-ranging conversation about queerness, race, representation in comics!
- “Does anybody seriously, seriously miss the House-Elf Liberation Front?” Authors Ezekiel Boone, Blake Crouch, Lev Grossman, Patrick Ness, and Sarvenaz Tash talk about the often illuminating process of adapting their books for television and film.
- Are you ready to yell “SPOOON!”? The “Amazon Presents” featured Ben Edlund and Barry Josephson dropping tantalizing hints about the upcoming reboot of The Tick!
- Emily Asher-Perrin found the pilot for Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency delightful, and you can read her review here! Plus, the show debuted a new trailer to get us all excited for the October 22nd premiere on BBC America:
- Doctor Who is smack in the middle of filming its new season, but it took a break to preview footage the 2016 Christmas Special, titled “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”, which Steven Moffat describes as a dive into the world of superheroes! Plus, we got a preview of Class, a “Torchwood-esque-but-with-kids Doctor Who spin-off” which will hit the BBC on October 22nd.
- In the utterly vital Power Rangers reboot, the 90s teens with attitude have been swapped out for a group of misfits who meet in detention. Check out the trailer for all the mighty morphin’ breakfast club action.
- We were already entirely too excited for the return of The Expanse, but then their NYCC panel had to show us an all-too-brief clip of season two, and now we officially Can. Not. Wait. for the show to come back.
- The Magicians panel started with freestyling, and then dove right into tutting practice.
- The first trailer for Trollhunters’ translates the dark, terrifying vision of Guillermo del Toro into a journey to a secret, troll-filled world.
- The Man in the High Castle panel did a fantastic tap dance around spoilers by focusing on the themes and ethics that underly the Philip K. Dick adaptation. They did gives us a tense new trailer to tide us over until the full season hits Amazon, on December 21st.
- Charlaine Harris’ supernatural thriller Midnight, Texas will bring a supernatural small town to the televisions screens soon! While we don’t have a release date yet, the NYCC panel screened the show’s pilot, and in the meantime you can check out their creepy trailer.
- Black Mirror’s season three trailer is here to terrify everyone in a good way!
- Finally, one of the biggest panels of NYCC was the latest Marvel extravaganza! And it did not disappoint, with clips from Iron Fist, an appearance from the fully-assembled Defenders, and the news that Sigourney Weaver will be the Big Bad. Check out the bone-crunching Iron Fist trailer:
- This may well be the cutest thing any of us will ever see.
- Jack Gleeson stepped out from behind his iconically-slappable performance as Joffrey Baratheon, and charmed a crowd of fans at NYCC.
- “I made my costume, I walked the con floor. It felt like a breath of fresh air. You feel alive, you feel connected with people that can relate with you. I felt like I was with family.” Emily Asher-Perrin reports on the expression and inclusivity of cosplay at NYCC!
- And finally finally, you know who doesn’t get enough love? Danny DeVito’s rendition of the Penguin.
Look at his bag of duckies! And his plastic fish! Penguin, we doff our lumpy top hats to you.