Last summer, we announced the expansion of Tor.com’s fiction publishing to include commercially sold novellas. Since then our editors have been hard at work acquiring stories and it is now time to hire a Marketing and Publicity Manager to help us get the word out on Tor.com, our authors, and our titles.
Tor.com is seeking a marketing and publicity manager with 4-5 years of experience. This person will lead, plan, and execute trade marketing and publicity initiatives for Tor.com publishing with a focus on digital outlets, working closely with our sales department and major clients. Candidates should have an extensive knowledge of science fiction and fantasy publishing and a network of current contacts within the industry. We are looking for someone enthusiastic about the possibilities that working in a digital space can bring, someone that wants to try new ideas, learn, innovate, and adapt as the program develops. They will be part of a small creative team fully dedicated to the Tor.com imprint, approximately 30 titles a year. This is a full-time position working in our New York office.
- Create marketing and publicity campaigns for titles and campaigns from our lists and ensure plans are comprehensive and completed
- Provide analysis on responses and efficacy of campaigns and commentary on how this informs future marketing strategies
- Pitch books and authors for coverage to selected print and online book review editors, feature editors, and appropriate genre-specific editors via phone and e-mail
- Work closely with the Sales department, providing them with all the marketing and publicity information needed on a timely basis.
- Collaborate with authors on their marketing efforts—support, inform and advise them on specific strategies for their titles.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of current and developing trends in digital publishing and the science fiction and fantasy genre
- Strong communication skills—ability to speak with authors, other departments, and customers with authority and tact and represent the company well. Strong writing skills and ability to write copy and express oneself effectively
- Collaborative attitude towards working with other members of the Tor.com team and others in the broader company
To apply, please visit Macmillan’s career board.