Tor.com is a space for fans of science fiction, fantasy, and related subjects to come together and discuss the topics we love. We are a motley crew, representing every corner of fandom from every walk of life, and we value the diversity of people and opinions as our greatest strength. Our community is the most important aspect of the site, and your comments and conversations are the best part. To ensure a safe and fun space for all, we expect those who participate, whether in our comment threads or in the user-created forums, to agree to do the following:
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Not use language that is prejudiced or phobic (including but not limited to comments on race, sex, sexuality, nationality, ethnicity, religion, class, etc.).
- Not flame, bait, or otherwise troll the forums. Under NO circumstances should this be used as a place to insult, demean, slander, or otherwise hurt others.
- Keep disagreements civil, and remember that just because someone disagrees with you does not mean that he/she dislikes you. Disagree with an idea, not a person.
- Be bound by the decisions made by the moderators. This means adhering to any and all warnings. Normally one warning is all you’ll get, so take heed.
The moderator(s) are the final judges of what constitutes a violation of these rules and will take whatever actions they feel necessary to address misbehavior including, but not limited to, editing, deletion, or banning. This is a private community and in order to participate it in you agree to express yourself in a way that does not violate these rules.
Some other things to keep in mind:
- Duplicate comments and comments that are irrelevant promotion of products or services will be deleted. Don’t spam us or we will ban you.
- Using so-called foul language is OK, as long as it’s used intelligently. This, however, does not apply to hate speech (see number 2).
We believe in community-based moderation. In theory, anyone can momentarily act as a moderator, as long as your action is warranted. When in doubt, flag for the moderator. Overzealous vigilante moderation won’t be tolerated any more than insults or trolling. On the flip side of the coin, if another user has stepped in to point out that you are in violation of this policy (or are otherwise acting like a jerk), take heed, cool off, and back down.
To sum up: Be nice. Treat others as you wish to be treated.
We hope that you enjoy coming here and being part of our community.
Have questions? Check out our FAQ.