Fri
Apr 11 2014 8:45am

Join Jo Walton on Tour for My Real Children!

Jo Walton is going on tour this summer in support of My Real Children, available May 20th from Tor Books!

The novel is set in 2015, and Patricia Cowan remembers things that don’t seem possible. She remembers marrying Mark and having four children. And she remembers not marrying Mark and raising three children with Bee instead. She remembers the bomb that killed President Kennedy in 1963, and she remembers Kennedy in 1964, declining to run again after the nuclear exchange that took out Miami and Kiev. Two lives, two worlds, two versions of modern history; each with their loves and losses, their sorrows and triumphs.

Read an excerpt from My Real Children here, and see below for the full list of tour dates!

Tuesday, May 22, 7:00 p.m.
Towne Books
Collegeville, PA

Wednesday, May 23 to Saturday, May 26
Balticon
Baltimore, MD

Tuesday, May 27, 7:00 p.m.
WORD Bookstore
Brooklyn, NY

Wednesday, May 28, 7:00 p.m.
Wellesley Books
Wellesley, MA

Thursday, May 29, afternoon
Book Expo of America
New York, NY

Sunday, June 1, 3:00 p.m.
Skokie Library
Skokie, IL

Tuesday, June 3, 5:00 p.m.
Uncle Hugo’s
Minneapolis, MN

Saturday, June 7, 7:00 p.m.
University Bookstore
Seattle, WA

Monday, June 9, 7:00 p.m.
Powell’s Books
Beaverton, OR

Friday, June 13, 7:00 p.m.
Copperfield's Books
Petaluma, CA

Saturday, June 14, 3:00 p.m.
Borderlands Books
San Francisco, CA

Tuesday, June 17, 7:00 p.m.
Mysterious Galaxy
San Diego, CA

Saturday, June 21, 3:00 p.m.
Page One Bookstore
Albuquerque, NM

Sunday, June 22
Jean Cocteau Cinema
Santa Fe, NM

Saturday, June 28th
American Library Association Annual Conference
Las Vegas, NV

Thursday, July 3, 7:00 p.m.
Flights of Fantasy
Albany, NY

13 comments
Shaz Taslimi
1. shaztaz
Aw, come on Jo! Are you really not having any kind of an event in Montreal?! Or anywhere closer to home? There's a writer's festival in Ottawa...

Don't mind me, I'm just being sad at how my favourite authors never come to Quebec or Ontario for a vist. Good luck on the tour!
Jo Walton
2. bluejo
I'll be at Boreal in Quebec City at the beginning of May, and I'm Guest of Honour at ConCon in Ottawa at the beginning of October. And if you want me to sign a book in Montreal any time I'm home, just email me and I will meet you at a metro station!
Shaz Taslimi
3. shaztaz
Oh that's brilliant! Now I'm all excited. I'll have to try to make it to Quebec City. I know I missed the Ottawa Con last October, but I'm looking forward to the next one.
Derryl Murphy
4. Derryl Murphy
This is surely a sign of just how bad it is here in Canada (and no, I don't hold Tor accountable for this). Among Others wins the Nebula, Hugo, and BFA, and doesn't even rate for a spot on the Aurora ballot, a spot I would have been happy to give up for it. And now no sign of her up here except for a couple of close-to-local appearances. But nothing even in Montreal (except for the metro station: thank goodness the metro still supports great literature).
Jo Walton
5. bluejo
Derryl: I believe because of Canadian content laws, books have to be distributed in Canada by Canadian distributors, and this means the Canadian distributors have to arrange things like signings in Canada. With _Among Others_, Raincoast organized a terrific event in Bakka in Toronto.

I for one was very happy to see _Napier's Bones_ on the Aurora ballot. And as for being as Canadian as possible under the circumstances, AO did win a Canadian popular award -- the Copper Cylinder, organized by the Sunburst people.
Derryl Murphy
6. Derryl Murphy
Thanks for your kind words. And I had forgotten about the Copper Cylinder. Of course, listen to me going on about awards, which are generally things I feel somewhat cynical about.

And it's great that Bakka did a launch, although it speaks to the problems of living in such a large and empty land. I know Guy Kay's publisher treats my neck of the woods as flyover country now. I do hope your distributor in Canada takes it upon themselves to bring you to a few quality bookstores across the country, if you are up to it.
Pamela Adams
7. Pam Adams
Okay, do I travel to San Diego or SF? Decisions, decisions.
Lisa Grabenstetter
9. magneticcrow
Ohh, so close. There's no way you could be persuaded to stop by Politics & Prose in DC could you? Though I suppose I should make time for Balticon anyway. I enjoyed 'My Real Children' immensely!
Derryl Murphy
11. Rymenhild
This is very exciting! But according to my calendar, May 22 is a Thursday, not a Tuesday. Are the weekdays or the numbers correct on this tour schedule?
Jo Walton
12. bluejo
Rymenhild -- knowing what day of the week it is would be very useful. It's definitely the 22nd. And it's a Thursday. Sorry about that!
Derryl Murphy
13. Non-necromancer
Unfortunately, I don't see getting to Skokie, IL or Minneapolis, MN in the middle of the week. Those seem to be the only incursions into "flyover country."

Receive notification by email when a new comment is added. You must be a registered user to subscribe to threads.