Parasite made history in 2020 when it became the first film not in English to win an Academy Award for Best Picture. Director Bong Joon-ho’s success is groundbreaking in the conversation about diversity in Hollywood—from the United States’ side. Hollywood may only now be opening its doors to South Korean cinema, but the door has always been open in the other direction. Bong Joon-ho directs with a transnationalist, Korean lens on Hollywood tropes and expectations; his work is part of a long conversation South Korea has been having about Hollywood and the United States’ cultural influence on the world.
Fiction and Excerpts 
All her life Sylvia has made sure to never let anyone see the centipedes that emerge from her body. It’s gross and impolite. Until finally she reaches her breaking point. This is a speculative exploration of rape culture and hiding pain in favor of others’ pleasure.
Last week marked the publication of Premee Mohamed’s debut novel Beneath the Rising (Solaris), a hotly anticipated tale of cosmic horror and adventure. Equal parts hilarious and heart-wrenching, Beneath the Rising deeply subverts the oppressive foundations of Lovecraft’s vision of cosmic horror. In doing so, Mohamed joins Paul Krueger, author of the standalone epic fantasy novel Steel Crow Saga (Del Rey, 2019), in uprooting some of the core assumptions we have about the speculative fiction genre’s traditions and conventions.
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: Revisiting Lois McMaster Bujold’s Sharing Knife 14 hours ago
- Matthew Keeley A King Arthur Tale for the Brexit Era: Lavie Tidhar’s By Force Alone 15 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Hulu is Turning Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s Mexican Gothic Into a Series 15 hours ago
- Andrea Hairston Read an Excerpt From Andrea Hairston’s Master of Poisons 15 hours ago
- Noah Berlatsky Ira Levin’s Rosemary’s Baby: Patriarchy Without Feminism Is Hell 16 hours ago
- Charlie Jane Anders Never Say You Can’t Survive: People Are Only as Interesting as Their Relationships 17 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter What You Need to Know Before Reading Seth Dickinson’s The Tyrant Baru Cormorant 18 hours ago
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “Wolf in the Fold” 1 min ago on
- Announcing the 2020 Hugo Award Winners 13 mins ago on
- A King Arthur Tale for the Brexit Era: Lavie Tidhar’s By Force Alone 30 mins ago on
- Sleeps With Monsters: Revisiting Lois McMaster Bujold’s Sharing Knife 39 mins ago on
- The Tourist 40 mins ago on
- Aliens, Ghosts, and Vampires: New Young Adult SFF for August & September 2020 2 hours ago on
- The Pauper Prince and the Eucalyptus Jinn 3 hours ago on