We are thrilled to reprint the Spanish translation of Naomi Kritzer’s Tor.com original story “Little Free Library”, first published in SuperSonic‘s February 2021 issue. Many thanks to Naomi, Cristina Jurado, Marcheto, and the SuperSonic team!
Fiction and Excerpts 
Sometimes, you’re haunted by your own stories. I wrote “So Much Cooking” in 2015: in it, a food blogger describes cooking in quarantine during a pandemic, feeding an ever-increasing number of children she’s sheltering at her house with an ever-decreasing supply of food. For over a year after I wrote the story, every time I saw powdered egg replacer at the store I’d be tempted to buy some. Just in case. One of the very first things my protagonist runs out of is eggs—I’ve cooked with commercial egg replacer before, it works very nicely for things like cookies, and it’s shelf-stable. I could have it just in case. But even shelf-stable goods have expiration dates; they also take up space. I resisted the temptation.
“I think we have hit the point where doing some minor nonperishable stockpiling is prudent rather than alarmist,” I wrote to my spouse on February 25th of this year, and listed some things I wanted to lay in: toilet paper, coffee. Like the protagonist of my story, I strongly prefer good coffee, but I bought a just-in-case vacuum-sealed canister. (Toilet paper: I mean, of course the stores were going to run out of toilet paper. What goes right before a blizzard? Milk, bread, eggs, TP.) I started looking for egg replacer.
Upon setting up her Little Free Library, Meigan develops an unexpected friendship with a mysterious book borrower.
How much does the internet know about you? Naomi Kritzer’s Catfishing on Catnet is thought-provoking near future YA thriller that explores issues of online privacy, artificial intelligence, and the power and perils of social networks. The novel is available November 19th from Tor Teen, but you can read an excerpt now below!
- Judith Tarr Understanding Horses: Caring for Wise Elders 15 hours ago
- Tor.com Devi Pillai to Become President and Publisher, Tom Doherty Associates 16 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Netflix’s Animated Anthology Series Love, Death + Robots Returns May 14th 16 hours ago
- Joan He Read an Excerpt From Joan He’s The Ones We’re Meant to Find 16 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 17 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll A Game of Stones: Five Novels Set in Asteroid Belts 19 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak First Trailer for Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Is Rife With Action 20 hours ago
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 12 seconds ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 1 hour ago on
- The Lens of History: Donald Kingsbury’s Psychohistorical Crisis 2 hours ago on
- A 30-Year-Old Soviet Adaptation of The Fellowship of the Ring Is Available for Your Viewing Pleasure 4 hours ago on
- Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory 4 hours ago on
- A Game of Stones: Five Novels Set in Asteroid Belts 4 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Equinox, Part II” 5 hours ago on