We are thrilled to reprint the Spanish translation of Naomi Kritzer’s Tor.com original story “Little Free Library”, first published in SuperSonic‘s February 2021 issue. Many thanks to Naomi, Cristina Jurado, Marcheto, and the SuperSonic team!
Fiction and Excerpts 
Sometimes, you’re haunted by your own stories. I wrote “So Much Cooking” in 2015: in it, a food blogger describes cooking in quarantine during a pandemic, feeding an ever-increasing number of children she’s sheltering at her house with an ever-decreasing supply of food. For over a year after I wrote the story, every time I saw powdered egg replacer at the store I’d be tempted to buy some. Just in case. One of the very first things my protagonist runs out of is eggs—I’ve cooked with commercial egg replacer before, it works very nicely for things like cookies, and it’s shelf-stable. I could have it just in case. But even shelf-stable goods have expiration dates; they also take up space. I resisted the temptation.
“I think we have hit the point where doing some minor nonperishable stockpiling is prudent rather than alarmist,” I wrote to my spouse on February 25th of this year, and listed some things I wanted to lay in: toilet paper, coffee. Like the protagonist of my story, I strongly prefer good coffee, but I bought a just-in-case vacuum-sealed canister. (Toilet paper: I mean, of course the stores were going to run out of toilet paper. What goes right before a blizzard? Milk, bread, eggs, TP.) I started looking for egg replacer.
Upon setting up her Little Free Library, Meigan develops an unexpected friendship with a mysterious book borrower.
How much does the internet know about you? Naomi Kritzer’s Catfishing on Catnet is thought-provoking near future YA thriller that explores issues of online privacy, artificial intelligence, and the power and perils of social networks. The novel is available November 19th from Tor Teen, but you can read an excerpt now below!
- Theresa DeLucci 6 Books to Read While You Wait for Yellowjackets to Return 23 mins ago
- Molly Templeton Let Gandalf Star in a Musical, You Cowards 32 mins ago
- Alex Brown A Story of Resistance, Not Surrender: Goliath by Tochi Onyebuchi 53 mins ago
- Sylas K Barrett Reading The Wheel of Time: Graendal and Semirhage Treat Their Patients in Robert Jordan’s Lord of Chaos (Part 6) 1 hour ago
- Molly Templeton In Batgirl, Ivory Aquino Will Play the First Trans Character in a DC Comics Film 2 hours ago
- Meg Long 5 Adrenaline Pumping YA SFF Survival Books 2 hours ago
- Seanan McGuire Finding Poetry in Pamela Dean’s Tam Lin 3 hours ago
- Reading The Wheel of Time: Graendal and Semirhage Treat Their Patients in Robert Jordan’s Lord of Chaos (Part 6) 12 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Enterprise Rewatch: “Fortunate Son” 14 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Enterprise Rewatch: “Fortunate Son” 18 mins ago on
- A Story of Resistance, Not Surrender: Goliath by Tochi Onyebuchi 23 mins ago on
- Here’s How Humans Might Beat Other Intelligent Life in a Science Fictional Space Race 32 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Prodigy Is the Best New Trek Series 1 hour ago on
- Finding Poetry in Pamela Dean’s Tam Lin 1 hour ago on