We are thrilled to reprint the Spanish translation of Naomi Kritzer’s Tor.com original story “Little Free Library”, first published in SuperSonic‘s February 2021 issue. Many thanks to Naomi, Cristina Jurado, Marcheto, and the SuperSonic team!
Fiction and Excerpts 
Sometimes, you’re haunted by your own stories. I wrote “So Much Cooking” in 2015: in it, a food blogger describes cooking in quarantine during a pandemic, feeding an ever-increasing number of children she’s sheltering at her house with an ever-decreasing supply of food. For over a year after I wrote the story, every time I saw powdered egg replacer at the store I’d be tempted to buy some. Just in case. One of the very first things my protagonist runs out of is eggs—I’ve cooked with commercial egg replacer before, it works very nicely for things like cookies, and it’s shelf-stable. I could have it just in case. But even shelf-stable goods have expiration dates; they also take up space. I resisted the temptation.
“I think we have hit the point where doing some minor nonperishable stockpiling is prudent rather than alarmist,” I wrote to my spouse on February 25th of this year, and listed some things I wanted to lay in: toilet paper, coffee. Like the protagonist of my story, I strongly prefer good coffee, but I bought a just-in-case vacuum-sealed canister. (Toilet paper: I mean, of course the stores were going to run out of toilet paper. What goes right before a blizzard? Milk, bread, eggs, TP.) I started looking for egg replacer.
Upon setting up her Little Free Library, Meigan develops an unexpected friendship with a mysterious book borrower.
How much does the internet know about you? Naomi Kritzer’s Catfishing on Catnet is thought-provoking near future YA thriller that explores issues of online privacy, artificial intelligence, and the power and perils of social networks. The novel is available November 19th from Tor Teen, but you can read an excerpt now below!
- Aiden Thomas Read an Excerpt From The Sunbearer Trials 19 hours ago
- Tor.com All the New Fantasy Books Arriving in August! 20 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Enterprise Rewatch: “Singularity” 21 hours ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin How Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Reimagines the “Hero’s Journey” for the Better 22 hours ago
- Molly Templeton Tom Doherty Associates Is Now Tor Publishing Group 22 hours ago
- Judith Tarr To Tame the Untamable Unicorn: Diana Peterfreund’s Killer Unicorns 23 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach The Sandman Is Damn Near Perfect 23 hours ago
- Jo Walton’s Reading List: July 2022 6 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Enterprise Rewatch: “Singularity” 10 mins ago on
- The Sandman Is Damn Near Perfect 23 mins ago on
- Rothfuss Reread: The Name of the Wind, Part 8: Your Hand Held the Fire 2 hours ago on
- The Sandman Is Damn Near Perfect 6 hours ago on
- The Few Against the Many — Morbius 8 hours ago on
- The Few Against the Many — Morbius 9 hours ago on