Edgar Allan Poe gave American writers permission to plumb the subterranean depths of human depravity and transform it into art. This may sound obvious, but it’s worth remembering—on his 208th birthday—that Poe composed his pioneering gothic stories for a Yankee audience. Europeans already indulged in the profane poetry of Charles Baudelaire (Poe’s French translator) and attended the bloody spectacle of Grand Guignol theater so it’s no wonder they embraced the graveyard poet before America, whose prudish shores had never read anything like him.
So John Cusack just had his first onscreen turn as Edgar Allan Poe. And while historical figures being liberally interpreted as action-oriented, larger than life figures is common these days (How many vampires did Abraham Lincoln really hunt?), how much do you really know about Edgar Allan Poe?
Here are 10 factoids from the former head docent of the Edgar Allan Poe cottage. Perhaps they will change your view of Poe… evermore.
Series: Genre in the Mainstream
- Anne M. Pillsworth and Ruthanna Emrys Turning the Cyclopean Up to 11: Fiona Maeve Geist’s “Red Stars / White Snow / Black Metal” 16 hours ago
- Maya Gittelman Redemption, Remaking, and Revolution: Natalie C. Parker’s Steel Tide 17 hours ago
- Bogi Takács QUILTBAG+ Speculative Classics: A, A′ [A, A Prime] by Moto Hagio, Translated by Rachel Thorn 17 hours ago
- Alvaro Zinos-Amaro Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Reread — Section 31: Abyss 18 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket A Single Mom Raises a Superhero in the First Trailer for Raising Dion 19 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Damon Lindelof Reveals Lots of Worldbuilding Details in New Watchmen Show 19 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach A Quiet Hero’s Journey: Processing Trauma in Fantasy 19 hours ago
- Five Forgotten Swordsmen and Swordswomen of Fantasy 12 mins ago on
- A Quiet Hero’s Journey: Processing Trauma in Fantasy 21 mins ago on
- “It’s our mission that doesn’t make sense” — Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 2 hours ago on
- Spock and the Myth of “Emotion Versus Logic” 2 hours ago on
- Sleeps With Monsters: Is This the Book I Wanted to Read? 4 hours ago on
- V.E. Schwab’s The Archived Book Series Being Adapted for The CW 5 hours ago on
- Hugo Nominees: 1968 5 hours ago on