Edgar Allan Poe gave American writers permission to plumb the subterranean depths of human depravity and transform it into art. This may sound obvious, but it’s worth remembering—on his 208th birthday—that Poe composed his pioneering gothic stories for a Yankee audience. Europeans already indulged in the profane poetry of Charles Baudelaire (Poe’s French translator) and attended the bloody spectacle of Grand Guignol theater so it’s no wonder they embraced the graveyard poet before America, whose prudish shores had never read anything like him.
So John Cusack just had his first onscreen turn as Edgar Allan Poe. And while historical figures being liberally interpreted as action-oriented, larger than life figures is common these days (How many vampires did Abraham Lincoln really hunt?), how much do you really know about Edgar Allan Poe?
Here are 10 factoids from the former head docent of the Edgar Allan Poe cottage. Perhaps they will change your view of Poe… evermore.
Series: Genre in the Mainstream
- Molly Templeton The Wheel of Time Will Premiere on Amazon in November 2 days ago
- Molly Templeton Getting Pooped Out By An Alien Is Just Part of the Job in Star Trek: Lower Decks’ New Trailer 2 days ago
- Molly Templeton Here’s Your First Glimpse at Star Trek: Prodigy 2 days ago
- Sylvain Neuvel Five Great Alternative Histories of WWII and the Space Race 2 days ago
- Molly Templeton Shimmering, Street-Level Magic: Michelle Ruiz Keil’s Summer in the City of Roses 2 days ago
- Martin Cahill The Cycle of Violence in Chuck Wendig’s The Book of Accidents 2 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Reaper Man, Part II 2 days ago
- The Ten Best (and Worst) Movie Adaptations of the King Arthur Legends 1 hour ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Unimatrix Zero, Part I” 3 hours ago on
- The Ten Best (and Worst) Movie Adaptations of the King Arthur Legends 3 hours ago on
- Rhythm of War Reread: Interlude Six 4 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “11:59” 6 hours ago on
- Con Artists in Space: The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison 6 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “The Haunting of Deck Twelve” 7 hours ago on