Edgar Allan Poe gave American writers permission to plumb the subterranean depths of human depravity and transform it into art. This may sound obvious, but it’s worth remembering—on his 208th birthday—that Poe composed his pioneering gothic stories for a Yankee audience. Europeans already indulged in the profane poetry of Charles Baudelaire (Poe’s French translator) and attended the bloody spectacle of Grand Guignol theater so it’s no wonder they embraced the graveyard poet before America, whose prudish shores had never read anything like him.
So John Cusack just had his first onscreen turn as Edgar Allan Poe. And while historical figures being liberally interpreted as action-oriented, larger than life figures is common these days (How many vampires did Abraham Lincoln really hunt?), how much do you really know about Edgar Allan Poe?
Here are 10 factoids from the former head docent of the Edgar Allan Poe cottage. Perhaps they will change your view of Poe… evermore.
Series: Genre in the Mainstream
- Tochi Onyebuchi “Where in your affidavit does it say you’re Black?”: Why Worldbuilding Can’t Neglect Race 49 mins ago
- Stubby the Rocket Jared Harris Says He Is Not Playing Doctor Octopus in Morbius 55 mins ago
- Tor.com Does Sentience Bestow Basic Rights? Unveiling Erin K. Wagner’s An Unnatural Life 2 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Epix Is Adapting Bernard Cornwell’s King Arthur Trilogy, The Warlord Chronicles 19 hours ago
- Judith Tarr A Collaborative Effort: Andre Norton’s Return to Quag Keep 20 hours ago
- Amber Troska What Makes an Adaptation “Good” or “Bad”? 21 hours ago
- M.K. England 5 Books That Leave You With Hope for Humanity 23 hours ago
- Epix Is Adapting Bernard Cornwell’s King Arthur Trilogy, The Warlord Chronicles 31 mins ago on
- Epix Is Adapting Bernard Cornwell’s King Arthur Trilogy, The Warlord Chronicles 35 mins ago on
- Let’s Rank All the King Arthur Movies to Find the True Once and Future King 49 mins ago on
- What Makes an Adaptation “Good” or “Bad”? 51 mins ago on
- Let’s Rank All the King Arthur Movies to Find the True Once and Future King 1 hour ago on
- What Makes an Adaptation “Good” or “Bad”? 1 hour ago on
- BBC America Releases First Photos Of Discworld Adaptation, The Watch 1 hour ago on