“A Human Stain” by Kelly Robson is a disturbing horror novelette about a British expatriate at loose ends who is hired by her friend to temporarily care for his young, orphaned nephew in a remote castle-like structure in Germany.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Welcome to Tremontaine, where social advantage is best achieved through duels of wit and steel. A Duchess whose beauty is matched only by her cunning; a handsome young scholar with more passion than sense; a foreigner in a playground of swordplay and secrets; and a mathematical genius whose discoveries herald revolution—when games of politics begin, no one is safe. Mind your manners and enjoy the chocolate in a dance of sparkling intrigue that returns readers to Ellen Kushner’s beloved Riverside series, where sexuality is fluid, politics is everything, and outcasts are the tastemakers.
Team-written by some of today’s most exciting authors, Tremontaine Season Two unfolds across 13 episodes beginning October 19th, with a new installment releasing every Wednesday until the season finale on January 18, 2017. Season One is currently available in full at SerialBox.com, in our iOS app, and wherever eBooks are sold. Below, read “The Eye of the Swan,” a stand-alone tie-in story by Kelly Robson—found exclusively here on Tor.com.
“Waters of Versailles” by Kelly Robson is a charming novella of court intrigue in 1738 Versailles as a clever former soldier makes his fortune by introducing a modern water system (and toilets) to the ladies of the palace. He does this with magical help that he may not be able to control.
- Theresa DeLucci Everything and Nothing: Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier by Mark Frost 16 hours ago
- Keith DeCandido ’38 Special—The Rocketeer and The Phantom 18 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin Justice League Shows Us What Happens When You Team Up Without a Cinematic Universe 19 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Oathbringer Audiobook Sweepstakes! 20 hours ago
- Jeff LaSala Elves, Balrogs, and Nazgûl: 16 Possible Plots for the Lord of the Rings TV Series 21 hours ago
- Jane Yolen Read Jane Yolen’s “The Jewel in the Toad Queen’s Crown” 22 hours ago
- Mari Ness When Time Stops: James Thurber’s The 13 Clocks 2 days ago
- Justice League Shows Us What Happens When You Team Up Without a Cinematic Universe 29 mins ago on
- ’38 Special—The Rocketeer and The Phantom 4 hours ago on
- Justice League Shows Us What Happens When You Team Up Without a Cinematic Universe 4 hours ago on
- How Would You Cast The Lord of the Rings For Television? 4 hours ago on
- Cixin Liu’s The Three-Body Trilogy Helped Inspire China’s New SETI Radio Dish 4 hours ago on
- The Birth of Spielbergian: Close Encounters of the Third Kind at 40 5 hours ago on
- Spoiler-Free Reactions to Beta Reading Brandon Sanderson’s Oathbringer 5 hours ago on