I’ve been working in a digital role at Pan Macmillan, and at Tor, since 2007 and the one constant thing about it is that it keeps changing. My role has been to manage website development—so, for example, I organised the creation of this blog a year or two ago. And then it was to manage ebook production and operations—when I project managed the switch to DRM-free ebooks for Tor and the digitization of our backlist. And now it is to work more closely with the editorial team on digital publishing.
There is a fascinating list of alternate history novels where the author imagines a world after the Nazis defeated Britain and won World War II. Robert Harris’s Fatherland is perhaps the most well-known. C. J. Sansom’s Dominion is the latest novel in this line. Older examples are Len Deighton’s SS-GB and Phillip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle. Similarly, Philip Roth’s The Plot Against America saw Charles Lindbergh become the President of the United States and collaborate with Hitler. And before any of these was Vita Sackville-West’s Grand Canyon.
- Alex Brown Sing Me a Song: Ruinsong by Julia Ember 32 mins ago
- Gwen Katz Gideon, Harrow, and the Value of Problematic Relationships in Fiction 2 hours ago
- Sylas K Barrett Reading the Wheel of Time: Morgase Breaks Free in Robert Jordan’s The Fires of Heaven (Part 13) 3 hours ago
- Alice Arneson Answers to the Beta-Readers’ Reactions to Brandon Sanderson’s Rhythm of War 4 hours ago
- Tor.com Aspects of History and Future: Announcing Five Books From Andrea Hairston 4 hours ago
- Tor.com Download Down Among the Sticks and Bones for Free Today, and Come Back Tomorrow For the Next Book! 4 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Legendary Science Fiction Author Ben Bova Has Passed at the Age of 88 21 hours ago
- The Mandalorian Gets an Unexpected Bounty in Chapter Thirteen, “The Jedi” 30 seconds ago on
- Gideon, Harrow, and the Value of Problematic Relationships in Fiction 7 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Retrospect” 17 mins ago on
- Four Stories That Subvert the Cosy Catastrophe Genre 24 mins ago on
- The Mandalorian Gets an Unexpected Bounty in Chapter Thirteen, “The Jedi” 26 mins ago on
- Reading the Wheel of Time: Morgase Breaks Free in Robert Jordan’s The Fires of Heaven (Part 13) 28 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Retrospect” 37 mins ago on