I’ve been working in a digital role at Pan Macmillan, and at Tor, since 2007 and the one constant thing about it is that it keeps changing. My role has been to manage website development—so, for example, I organised the creation of this blog a year or two ago. And then it was to manage ebook production and operations—when I project managed the switch to DRM-free ebooks for Tor and the digitization of our backlist. And now it is to work more closely with the editorial team on digital publishing.
There is a fascinating list of alternate history novels where the author imagines a world after the Nazis defeated Britain and won World War II. Robert Harris’s Fatherland is perhaps the most well-known. C. J. Sansom’s Dominion is the latest novel in this line. Older examples are Len Deighton’s SS-GB and Phillip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle. Similarly, Philip Roth’s The Plot Against America saw Charles Lindbergh become the President of the United States and collaborate with Hitler. And before any of these was Vita Sackville-West’s Grand Canyon.
- Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Komarr, Chapter 6 10 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Miriam Black Series Sweepstakes! 11 hours ago
- Alex Brown The End Is Nigh: Chuck Wendig’s The Raptor and the Wren 11 hours ago
- Keith DeCandido You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 12 hours ago
- Judith Tarr After the Apocalypse: Andre Norton’s Daybreak — 2250 A.D. 12 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Beyond Ariel: 9 Stories You Can Tell With Mermaids 13 hours ago
- Alex Brown Pull List: Iceman, Mister Miracle, and Existential Crises 14 hours ago
- Five Books That Blend Science and Fantasy 1 min ago on
- You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 5 mins ago on
- That Game We Played During the War 5 mins ago on
- You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 47 mins ago on
- Beyond Ariel: 9 Stories You Can Tell With Mermaids 50 mins ago on
- Five Books That Blend Science and Fantasy 1 hour ago on
- After the Apocalypse: Andre Norton’s Daybreak — 2250 A.D. 1 hour ago on