On the East Coast, they are known as “sepia zombies”and on the West Coast they are “dusters”, but wherever there is cosplay, they are present. Mummies have sprung out of the casket and even now are a source of excitement in the science fiction community. Spring brings the release of Cerements,the anthology that is said to define modern mummy writings.
It’s Yule in the Miskatonic Valley and Elizabeth Barrial wants you to experience it all from the Adoration of the Mi-Go to Mother Shub’s Pfancy Pfeffernusse with a chuckle, a shiver of fear and a delectable scent. What goes better with the holidays than peace, joy and Lovecraft?
Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs is one of the most notable perfumers for the fantastically inclined and has a line of Lovecraft scents named A Picnic In Arkham. Barrial, however, has extended their corner of the Mythos into wonderful areas such as the Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Association, a collection which introduced Black Phoenix fans to their own little corner of the mythos, complete with four junior baseball leagues. This combination of the domestic and the horrific was a huge hit with collectors and fans and currently remains one of only a few such Mythos fusions.
For the holidays, the Miskatonic Valley adventure has extended into limited edition scents in a collection called The Miskatonic Valley Yuletide Faire that capture all the fun, frippery and nameless horror of Yule in Lovecraft’s world. As interstitial art, Barrial has also worked in Mythos holiday scents in tribute to the Los Angeles horror bookstore Dark Delicacies, which now has its own deliciously scented branch in the Miskatonic Valley.
Series: December Belongs To Cthulhu
- Ellen Cheeseman-Meyer Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: Komarr, Chapter 6 14 hours ago
- Sweepstakes Miriam Black Series Sweepstakes! 14 hours ago
- Alex Brown The End Is Nigh: Chuck Wendig’s The Raptor and the Wren 15 hours ago
- Keith DeCandido You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 15 hours ago
- Judith Tarr After the Apocalypse: Andre Norton’s Daybreak — 2250 A.D. 16 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Beyond Ariel: 9 Stories You Can Tell With Mermaids 17 hours ago
- Alex Brown Pull List: Iceman, Mister Miracle, and Existential Crises 18 hours ago
- You Can’t Go Back to the Way Things Were — Star Trek Discovery’s “Vaulting Ambition” 1 hour ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, A Through F 1 hour ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, A Through F 2 hours ago on
- I Belong Where the People Are: Disability and The Shape of Water 2 hours ago on
- Sapient Elephants, Musical Dogs, and Mercenary Cats: 15 Stories Featuring Anthropomorphic Animals 3 hours ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1970s, A Through F 3 hours ago on
- Five Books That Blend Science and Fantasy 4 hours ago on