On the East Coast, they are known as “sepia zombies”and on the West Coast they are “dusters”, but wherever there is cosplay, they are present. Mummies have sprung out of the casket and even now are a source of excitement in the science fiction community. Spring brings the release of Cerements,the anthology that is said to define modern mummy writings.
It’s Yule in the Miskatonic Valley and Elizabeth Barrial wants you to experience it all from the Adoration of the Mi-Go to Mother Shub’s Pfancy Pfeffernusse with a chuckle, a shiver of fear and a delectable scent. What goes better with the holidays than peace, joy and Lovecraft?
Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs is one of the most notable perfumers for the fantastically inclined and has a line of Lovecraft scents named A Picnic In Arkham. Barrial, however, has extended their corner of the Mythos into wonderful areas such as the Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Association, a collection which introduced Black Phoenix fans to their own little corner of the mythos, complete with four junior baseball leagues. This combination of the domestic and the horrific was a huge hit with collectors and fans and currently remains one of only a few such Mythos fusions.
For the holidays, the Miskatonic Valley adventure has extended into limited edition scents in a collection called The Miskatonic Valley Yuletide Faire that capture all the fun, frippery and nameless horror of Yule in Lovecraft’s world. As interstitial art, Barrial has also worked in Mythos holiday scents in tribute to the Los Angeles horror bookstore Dark Delicacies, which now has its own deliciously scented branch in the Miskatonic Valley.
Series: December Belongs To Cthulhu
- Feliza Casano The Power of Language: The Black Khan by Ausma Zehanat Khan 4 hours ago
- Sweepstakes City of Broken Magic Sweepstakes! 5 hours ago
- Mari Ness Delicate Magics: Sylvia Townsend Warner’s Kingdoms of Elfin 5 hours ago
- Natalie Zutter Neukom Institute Literary Arts Award Opens Submissions for Second Year Honoring Speculative Fiction 6 hours ago
- Weston Ochse Five Books About Heroes Who Shouldn’t Babysit Your Kitten 6 hours ago
- Alex Brown Haunted by the Past: Lila Bowen’s Treason of Hawks 7 hours ago
- Seanan McGuire A Good Horror Story Needs to Be Sincere 8 hours ago
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Fifty-Two 1 min ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Fifty-Two 28 mins ago on
- Why You Should Read Robert Jordan’s The Eye of the World 37 mins ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Fifty-Two 53 mins ago on
- You’ve Done Yourself Up: Doctor Who, “The Ghost Monument” 54 mins ago on
- Eight SFF Stories Written in Verse 54 mins ago on
- Fighting Erasure: Women SF Writers of the 1980s, Part III 1 hour ago on