On the East Coast, they are known as “sepia zombies”and on the West Coast they are “dusters”, but wherever there is cosplay, they are present. Mummies have sprung out of the casket and even now are a source of excitement in the science fiction community. Spring brings the release of Cerements,the anthology that is said to define modern mummy writings.
It’s Yule in the Miskatonic Valley and Elizabeth Barrial wants you to experience it all from the Adoration of the Mi-Go to Mother Shub’s Pfancy Pfeffernusse with a chuckle, a shiver of fear and a delectable scent. What goes better with the holidays than peace, joy and Lovecraft?
Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs is one of the most notable perfumers for the fantastically inclined and has a line of Lovecraft scents named A Picnic In Arkham. Barrial, however, has extended their corner of the Mythos into wonderful areas such as the Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Association, a collection which introduced Black Phoenix fans to their own little corner of the mythos, complete with four junior baseball leagues. This combination of the domestic and the horrific was a huge hit with collectors and fans and currently remains one of only a few such Mythos fusions.
For the holidays, the Miskatonic Valley adventure has extended into limited edition scents in a collection called The Miskatonic Valley Yuletide Faire that capture all the fun, frippery and nameless horror of Yule in Lovecraft’s world. As interstitial art, Barrial has also worked in Mythos holiday scents in tribute to the Los Angeles horror bookstore Dark Delicacies, which now has its own deliciously scented branch in the Miskatonic Valley.
Series: December Belongs To Cthulhu
- Matt Mikalatos The Deplorable Word: Power, Magicians, and Evil in C.S. Lewis’ The Magician’s Nephew 46 mins ago
- Anne M. Pillsworth and Ruthanna Emrys Her Suitcase Full of Ectoplasm: The Haunting of Hill House (Part 8) 2 hours ago
- Jessica Rubinkowski Read an Excerpt From The Bright and the Pale 3 hours ago
- Andrew Tejada Snowpiercer Is Getting an Express Ticket to a Third Season 20 hours ago
- Judith Tarr A Human-Free Earth: Andre Norton’s Breed to Come 21 hours ago
- Alexis Ong Life, Death, and Coming of Age in Nnedi Okorafor’s Remote Control 21 hours ago
- Adalyn Grace Read an Excerpt From All the Tides of Fate 22 hours ago
- A Human-Free Earth: Andre Norton’s Breed to Come 10 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Night” 49 mins ago on
- Rhythm of War Reread: Interludes 1 (Sylphrena, Sja-Anat, Into the Fire) 51 mins ago on
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: Wyrd Sisters, Part V 2 hours ago on
- Six Stories for Fans of Beautiful Australian Gothic 2 hours ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: Spying and Secrets of Tel’aran’rhiod in Robert Jordan’s The Fires of Heaven (Part 16) 2 hours ago on
- Classic SF in Which Humans Come From “Beyond the Stars” 3 hours ago on