On the East Coast, they are known as “sepia zombies”and on the West Coast they are “dusters”, but wherever there is cosplay, they are present. Mummies have sprung out of the casket and even now are a source of excitement in the science fiction community. Spring brings the release of Cerements,the anthology that is said to define modern mummy writings.
It’s Yule in the Miskatonic Valley and Elizabeth Barrial wants you to experience it all from the Adoration of the Mi-Go to Mother Shub’s Pfancy Pfeffernusse with a chuckle, a shiver of fear and a delectable scent. What goes better with the holidays than peace, joy and Lovecraft?
Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs is one of the most notable perfumers for the fantastically inclined and has a line of Lovecraft scents named A Picnic In Arkham. Barrial, however, has extended their corner of the Mythos into wonderful areas such as the Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Association, a collection which introduced Black Phoenix fans to their own little corner of the mythos, complete with four junior baseball leagues. This combination of the domestic and the horrific was a huge hit with collectors and fans and currently remains one of only a few such Mythos fusions.
For the holidays, the Miskatonic Valley adventure has extended into limited edition scents in a collection called The Miskatonic Valley Yuletide Faire that capture all the fun, frippery and nameless horror of Yule in Lovecraft’s world. As interstitial art, Barrial has also worked in Mythos holiday scents in tribute to the Los Angeles horror bookstore Dark Delicacies, which now has its own deliciously scented branch in the Miskatonic Valley.
Series: December Belongs To Cthulhu
- Ryan La Sala 17 Iconic Fashion Moments in SFF History 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Season 2 of Netflix’s Another Life 2 days ago
- Martin Cahill What Makes a Monster? The Complexities of No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull 2 days ago
- James Davis Nicoll 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 2 days ago
- Molly Templeton Time Travel Makes Everything Worse in the Teaser for Needle in a Timestack 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley 2 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 2 days ago
- This One’s Too Large, This One’s Too Small: Is There a Perfect Shape for Books? 12 mins ago on
- As the Computer Commands: The General, Book 1: The Forge by David Drake and S. M. Stirling 26 mins ago on
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “That Which Survives” 42 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Non Sequitur” 46 mins ago on
- Behold the Mistress of the Winter Constellations! — Star Trek: Lower Decks: “We’ll Always Have Tom Paris” 2 hours ago on
- 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 2 hours ago on
- I Sing the Body Electric: 5 SF Works About Sex and Technology 4 hours ago on