Creating the art for Cat Hellisen‘s story, “Mother, Crone, Maiden“, was a bit of a challenge. Full of intense, risky visuals, it proved rather difficult to choose some over others. It took one or two days just to come up with thumbnails, a process that normally takes a few hours.
This project starts with me busting my knee in a climbing acident. Irene Gallo, art director for Tor Books and creative director for Tor.com, called me for a project during Thanksgiving week and, truth be told, I wasn’t going anywhere for a while; so why not work on an illustration for a wicked story?
- Ada Palmer Chronicling Japanese Folklore: The Ghosts and Monsters of Shigeru Mizuki 1 day ago
- Stubby the Rocket Stephen Colbert’s Latest Tolkien-Off Target Is Lee Pace 1 day ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido “It’s our mission that doesn’t make sense” — Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 1 day ago
- Stubby the Rocket Take Flight with 6 Fantasy Creatures That Are Just as Cool as Dragons 1 day ago
- James Davis Nicoll A Brief Introduction to Sarah Tolmie’s Speculative Fiction 1 day ago
- Gabriella Tutino New Star Wars Barbies Are Perfect Cosplay Inspiration 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Daniel Mallory Ortberg and Colette Arrand Discuss Trans Narratives and Star Trek’s Planet Risa 2 days ago
- Five Heroines Over the Age of Forty 1 hour ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Eighty-Nine 2 hours ago on
- The Wheel of Time TV Show Cast Revealed: Rand, Mat, Perrin, and More 2 hours ago on
- “It’s our mission that doesn’t make sense” — Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 2 hours ago on
- How Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Connects to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child 3 hours ago on
- The Wheel of Time TV Show Cast Revealed: Rand, Mat, Perrin, and More 4 hours ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter Eighty-Eight 4 hours ago on