So, you’ve listened to a few tabletop RPG podcasts (or none at all!) and have wanted to get into the ever growing in popularity Critical Role but you don’t know where to start and are kind of overwhelmed. It’s a daunting task, as Critical Role is currently some 240+ episodes and each episode is at least three hours long, sometimes stretching into five hours (those are usually boss battles and/or the most stressful episodes of all time). It makes for thousands of hours of content. It has spawned comic books, coffee table art books, merch, and an upcoming animated series.
It is an aesthetic born of counterculture. One defined by a potentially insufferable amount of black clothing, wearing a lot of straps on your pants for seemingly no reason (it looks cool, okay), and copious amounts of eyeliner. The subcultures that have fractured from the original are too many to number but there’s something to be said for the defining factors of listening to music that’s outside the norm and creating art that’s meant to be a little out there and a little (or a lot) provocative. It’s counterculture, so that means relishing a bit in the over-the-top, in the grit, in the glamor, in the dark.
Also, sometimes one is just extremely lazy and an entirely black wardrobe makes getting dressed in the morning easy, but I’d like to think there’s more to it than that. So I have five books that I think cut to the heart of it all and are extremely Goth.
Series: Five Books About…
- Ryan La Sala 17 Iconic Fashion Moments in SFF History 3 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Season 2 of Netflix’s Another Life 3 days ago
- Martin Cahill What Makes a Monster? The Complexities of No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull 3 days ago
- James Davis Nicoll 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 3 days ago
- Molly Templeton Time Travel Makes Everything Worse in the Teaser for Needle in a Timestack 3 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley 3 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 3 days ago
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Fifth Season Overview 13 mins ago on
- Judge Dee and the Poisoner of Montmartre 15 mins ago on
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 1 hour ago on
- 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 2 hours ago on
- 17 Iconic Fashion Moments in SFF History 2 hours ago on
- L’Espirit de L’Escalier 3 hours ago on
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 4 hours ago on