If science fiction is a genre that asks “what if?”, then the authors of these five books have really outdone themselves. These are novels that go beyond the ordinary to ideas so outlandish that lesser authors might have rejected them as too insane. But these books aren’t comedies. These aren’t the kind of oddball concepts that just devolve into nonsense. Instead, these books take their audacious premises seriously, and bit by bit, explore the consequences to the characters and to humanity at large.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Series: Five Books About…
Jacob Kelley’s family is turned upside down when an old friend turns up, waving a gun and babbling about an alien quantum intelligence.
The mystery deepens when the friend is found dead in an underground bunker…apparently murdered the night he appeared at Jacob’s house. Jacob is arrested for the murder and put on trial.
As the details of the crime slowly come to light, the weave of reality becomes ever more tangled, twisted by a miraculous new technology and a quantum creature unconstrained by the normal limits of space and matter.
With the help of his daughter, Alessandra, Jacob must find the true murderer before the creature destroys his family and everything he loves.
David Walton’s Superposition, a quantum physics murder mystery, publishes April 7th from Prometheus Books.
Because it’s Sea Monster Week, and we love giving you special treats when these lovely themes come along, we’ve got a special excerpt of Quintessence by David Walton. This book won’t be released until March of next year—March 19, to be exact—so you’re getting a look into the magical future!
Quintessence opens with an Admiral who has spent years at sea, his goal to prove that the west contained riches beyond England’s imaginings. The proof is safe in his hold, trunks full of gold, spices, and odd animals, and his ship has almost reached London — but then his crew informs him of an impossible turn of events.
Series: Sea Monster Week
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: Two Books About Family Situations 57 mins ago
- Elayne Audrey Becker Read an Excerpt From New YA Fantasy Forestborn 2 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Universal Will Release New Exorcist Trilogy 2 hours ago
- Tobias Carroll A Crime of the Future: Chris McKinney’s Midnight, Water City 3 hours ago
- Leah Schnelbach Masters of the Universe: Revelation Is The Last Jedi of He-Man Cartoons 4 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak New Trailer for Ghostbusters: Afterlife Transplants its Ghosts From NYC to Oklahoma 5 hours ago
- Sylas K Barrett Reading The Wheel of Time: A Hook and a Wish in Robert Jordan’s New Spring (Part One) 5 hours ago
- Five Speculative Visions of Britain in Chaos 6 mins ago on
- Masters of the Universe: Revelation Is The Last Jedi of He-Man Cartoons 9 mins ago on
- Five Speculative Visions of Britain in Chaos 10 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Sixth Season Overview 11 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: Sixth Season Overview 13 mins ago on
- Five Speculative Visions of Britain in Chaos 28 mins ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: A Hook and a Wish in Robert Jordan’s New Spring (Part One) 30 mins ago on