If science fiction is a genre that asks “what if?”, then the authors of these five books have really outdone themselves. These are novels that go beyond the ordinary to ideas so outlandish that lesser authors might have rejected them as too insane. But these books aren’t comedies. These aren’t the kind of oddball concepts that just devolve into nonsense. Instead, these books take their audacious premises seriously, and bit by bit, explore the consequences to the characters and to humanity at large.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Series: Five Books About…
Jacob Kelley’s family is turned upside down when an old friend turns up, waving a gun and babbling about an alien quantum intelligence.
The mystery deepens when the friend is found dead in an underground bunker…apparently murdered the night he appeared at Jacob’s house. Jacob is arrested for the murder and put on trial.
As the details of the crime slowly come to light, the weave of reality becomes ever more tangled, twisted by a miraculous new technology and a quantum creature unconstrained by the normal limits of space and matter.
With the help of his daughter, Alessandra, Jacob must find the true murderer before the creature destroys his family and everything he loves.
David Walton’s Superposition, a quantum physics murder mystery, publishes April 7th from Prometheus Books.
Because it’s Sea Monster Week, and we love giving you special treats when these lovely themes come along, we’ve got a special excerpt of Quintessence by David Walton. This book won’t be released until March of next year—March 19, to be exact—so you’re getting a look into the magical future!
Quintessence opens with an Admiral who has spent years at sea, his goal to prove that the west contained riches beyond England’s imaginings. The proof is safe in his hold, trunks full of gold, spices, and odd animals, and his ship has almost reached London — but then his crew informs him of an impossible turn of events.
Series: Sea Monster Week
- Andrew Liptak TNT Moves Up Snowpiercer’s Release Date, Drops New Trailer 7 hours ago
- Tor.com All the New Genre Bending Books Arriving in April! 9 hours ago
- Caroline Stevermer Read an Excerpt From Caroline Stevermer’s The Glass Magician 10 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Season 2 of AMC’s NOS4A2 Returns in June 10 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Non Sequitur” 11 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Let LeVar Burton Read the Works of Neil Gaiman to You This Friday 11 hours ago
- O'Brian Gunn When Superheroes Use Finesse Rather Than Fists to Save the Day 12 hours ago
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Non Sequitur” 1 second ago on
- Six Perfect Episodes of MST3K to Help You Really Just Relax 16 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Non Sequitur” 19 mins ago on
- The World Beyond Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 33 mins ago on
- If the Vampire Lestat Was Your Boyfriend… 44 mins ago on
- Reading the Wheel of Time: For Our Next Trick, We Hunt Trollocs in Robert Jordan’s The Shadow Rising (Part 24) 51 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Non Sequitur” 56 mins ago on