If science fiction is a genre that asks “what if?”, then the authors of these five books have really outdone themselves. These are novels that go beyond the ordinary to ideas so outlandish that lesser authors might have rejected them as too insane. But these books aren’t comedies. These aren’t the kind of oddball concepts that just devolve into nonsense. Instead, these books take their audacious premises seriously, and bit by bit, explore the consequences to the characters and to humanity at large.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Series: Five Books About…
Jacob Kelley’s family is turned upside down when an old friend turns up, waving a gun and babbling about an alien quantum intelligence.
The mystery deepens when the friend is found dead in an underground bunker…apparently murdered the night he appeared at Jacob’s house. Jacob is arrested for the murder and put on trial.
As the details of the crime slowly come to light, the weave of reality becomes ever more tangled, twisted by a miraculous new technology and a quantum creature unconstrained by the normal limits of space and matter.
With the help of his daughter, Alessandra, Jacob must find the true murderer before the creature destroys his family and everything he loves.
David Walton’s Superposition, a quantum physics murder mystery, publishes April 7th from Prometheus Books.
Because it’s Sea Monster Week, and we love giving you special treats when these lovely themes come along, we’ve got a special excerpt of Quintessence by David Walton. This book won’t be released until March of next year—March 19, to be exact—so you’re getting a look into the magical future!
Quintessence opens with an Admiral who has spent years at sea, his goal to prove that the west contained riches beyond England’s imaginings. The proof is safe in his hold, trunks full of gold, spices, and odd animals, and his ship has almost reached London — but then his crew informs him of an impossible turn of events.
Series: Sea Monster Week
- Stubby the Rocket Check Out the Original Illustrations From Jules Verne’s Voyages Extraordinaires 20 hours ago
- Matthew Keeley Daniel Kehlmann’s Tyll Meanders, Mocks, and Moves 21 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll Crimes, Capers, and Gentleman Thieves: 5 Must-Read SFF Heist Novels 23 hours ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Freecloud’s Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose — Star Trek: Picard’s “Stardust City Rag” 24 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Castlevania Adds 10 New Characters to Season 3 24 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Steven Universe to End After Next 10 Episodes 1 day ago
- Alan Brown Report From Black Spire Outpost: Exploring Disney World’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge 1 day ago
- Report From Black Spire Outpost: Exploring Disney World’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge 1 min ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Emanations” 3 mins ago on
- Crimes, Capers, and Gentleman Thieves: 5 Must-Read SFF Heist Novels 2 hours ago on
- Oathbringer Reread: Chapter One Hundred Sixteen 3 hours ago on
- A Read of the Dark Tower: Constant Reader Tackles Song of Susannah, 8th Stanza, “A Game of Toss” 3 hours ago on
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch: “The Bonding” 3 hours ago on
- Daniel Kehlmann’s Tyll Meanders, Mocks, and Moves 4 hours ago on