One of the great excitements for me of writing Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage was the chance to create a story set against an event that was not only pivotal in ancient history, but also a highlight of my own career. Like many archaeologists I’ve often had difficulty correlating what I’ve been excavating with the great events of recorded history—with wars and political upheavals. Often it seems as if those events simply bypass the majority of people, leaving unaffected what the historian Fernand Braudel called the “underlying continuity” of day-to-day life. But sometimes the events are so huge, so all-encompassing, that they reach through the entire fabric of life, leaving their mark everywhere. When you’re confronted with that evidence emerging from the ground, when the scale and reality of those events becomes apparent, the effect can be shocking.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Check out Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage, the first in an epic series of novels by David Gibbins, available September 3rd from St Martin’s Press!
This is the story of Fabius Petronius Secundus—Roman legionary and centurion—and his rise to power: from his first battle against the Macedonians, that seals the fate of Alexander the Great’s Empire, to total war in North Africa and the Seige of Carthage.
Fabius’s success brings him admiration and respect, but also attracts greed and jealousy—the closest allies can become the bitterest of enemies. And then there is Julia, of the Caesar family—a dark horse in love with both Fabius and his rival Paullus—who causes a vicious feud.
Ultimately for Fabius, it will come down to one question: how much is he prepared to sacrifice for his vision of Rome?
- Andrew Liptak A New Trailer for His Dark Materials Showcase’s Lyra’s Quest 8 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Marvel Studios Reveals Black Panther 2, Eternals, and Black Widow Details at D23 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak What Did We Learn About Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker from D23? 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak Ewan McGregor Returns to Star Wars for an Obi-Wan Kenobi Series 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Disney’s Live-Action Star Wars Show, The Mandalorian 2 days ago
- Andrew Liptak The Final Season of The Clone Wars Will Debut in February 2020 2 days ago
- Stubby the Rocket Live-Action Moon Knight Gets Confirmed for Disney+ 2 days ago
- Marvel Announces She-Hulk Live-Action Series 23 mins ago on
- 10 Expansive SFF Worlds We Want to Get Lost In 1 hour ago on
- Holy Rewatch Batman! “Penguin’s Clean Sweep” 2 hours ago on
- Marvel Announces She-Hulk Live-Action Series 2 hours ago on
- Rothfuss Reread: The Wise Man’s Fear, Part 20: You Wouldn’t Have a Hope 2 hours ago on
- 14 Things We Loved (and 8 Things We Hated) in Avengers: Endgame 3 hours ago on
- Pennyworth Is Best When It Commits to Crazy 3 hours ago on