One of the great excitements for me of writing Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage was the chance to create a story set against an event that was not only pivotal in ancient history, but also a highlight of my own career. Like many archaeologists I’ve often had difficulty correlating what I’ve been excavating with the great events of recorded history—with wars and political upheavals. Often it seems as if those events simply bypass the majority of people, leaving unaffected what the historian Fernand Braudel called the “underlying continuity” of day-to-day life. But sometimes the events are so huge, so all-encompassing, that they reach through the entire fabric of life, leaving their mark everywhere. When you’re confronted with that evidence emerging from the ground, when the scale and reality of those events becomes apparent, the effect can be shocking.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Check out Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage, the first in an epic series of novels by David Gibbins, available September 3rd from St Martin’s Press!
This is the story of Fabius Petronius Secundus—Roman legionary and centurion—and his rise to power: from his first battle against the Macedonians, that seals the fate of Alexander the Great’s Empire, to total war in North Africa and the Seige of Carthage.
Fabius’s success brings him admiration and respect, but also attracts greed and jealousy—the closest allies can become the bitterest of enemies. And then there is Julia, of the Caesar family—a dark horse in love with both Fabius and his rival Paullus—who causes a vicious feud.
Ultimately for Fabius, it will come down to one question: how much is he prepared to sacrifice for his vision of Rome?
- Anne M. Pillsworth and Ruthanna Emrys The Low Standards of the Legal Profession: John Connolly’s “The Fractured Atlas,” Part 6 11 hours ago
- Alex Brown A Wonderful Use of YA Tropes: Beasts of Prey by Ayana Gray 12 hours ago
- James Davis Nicoll Step Right Up! Five Recent Fantasy Stories Set at a Circus 13 hours ago
- Molly Templeton Amazon’s New Wheel of Time Trailer Sets the Show’s Epic Stakes 14 hours ago
- Courtney Floyd Beyond Dark Academia: The Real Horror in Magic School Is Systemic Inequality 14 hours ago
- Alexis Ong A Murder Mystery in Space: Far From the Light of Heaven by Tade Thompson 15 hours ago
- Molly Templeton Pixar’s Lightyear Achieves First Teaser Liftoff 15 hours ago
- Horses and Star Trek: Considering Captain Picard’s Saddle 5 seconds ago on
- Baby Teeth 45 mins ago on
- Step Right Up! Five Recent Fantasy Stories Set at a Circus 1 hour ago on
- Step Right Up! Five Recent Fantasy Stories Set at a Circus 2 hours ago on
- Step Right Up! Five Recent Fantasy Stories Set at a Circus 3 hours ago on
- Amazon’s New Wheel of Time Trailer Sets the Show’s Epic Stakes 5 hours ago on
- The Muslimness of Dune: A Close Reading of “Appendix II: The Religion of Dune” 5 hours ago on