One of the great excitements for me of writing Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage was the chance to create a story set against an event that was not only pivotal in ancient history, but also a highlight of my own career. Like many archaeologists I’ve often had difficulty correlating what I’ve been excavating with the great events of recorded history—with wars and political upheavals. Often it seems as if those events simply bypass the majority of people, leaving unaffected what the historian Fernand Braudel called the “underlying continuity” of day-to-day life. But sometimes the events are so huge, so all-encompassing, that they reach through the entire fabric of life, leaving their mark everywhere. When you’re confronted with that evidence emerging from the ground, when the scale and reality of those events becomes apparent, the effect can be shocking.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Check out Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage, the first in an epic series of novels by David Gibbins, available September 3rd from St Martin’s Press!
This is the story of Fabius Petronius Secundus—Roman legionary and centurion—and his rise to power: from his first battle against the Macedonians, that seals the fate of Alexander the Great’s Empire, to total war in North Africa and the Seige of Carthage.
Fabius’s success brings him admiration and respect, but also attracts greed and jealousy—the closest allies can become the bitterest of enemies. And then there is Julia, of the Caesar family—a dark horse in love with both Fabius and his rival Paullus—who causes a vicious feud.
Ultimately for Fabius, it will come down to one question: how much is he prepared to sacrifice for his vision of Rome?
- Tor.com Tor.com Publishing Wants to Tell You About the Last Survivors of Innsmouth 22 mins ago
- Alex Brown “There Is Juju in This Book”: Exploring Nnedi Okorafor’s Akata Witch series 1 hour ago
- Sweepstakes Robert Jordan Birthday Sweepstakes! 2 hours ago
- Liz Bourke Sleeps With Monsters: My Year In Queer 4 hours ago
- Erin Roberts How to Tell If You’re Living In a Dystopia — And Why It Matters 5 hours ago
- Brandon Sanderson Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 6 hours ago
- Emily Nordling Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View is the Mashup You’ve Been Looking For 23 hours ago
- How to Tell If You’re Living In a Dystopia — And Why It Matters 1 min ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 2 mins ago on
- Wakanda Forever! Watch the First Trailer for Black Panther 3 mins ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 3 mins ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 8 mins ago on
- How to Tell If You’re Living In a Dystopia — And Why It Matters 8 mins ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 12 mins ago on