Set in a world of goblin wars, stag-sized battle ravens, and assassins who kill with deadly tattoos, Christopher Buehlman’s The Blacktongue Thief is the start of a new fantasy adventure—publishing May 25th with Tor Books. Read chapter one here, or dive in with chapter two below!
Fiction and Excerpts 
In the Spring of 1994, at the age of 25, I was hired to play Tybalt in a production of Romeo and Juliet at the Sterling Renaissance Festival, which would take place in July. Rehearsals would start at the top of June. In May, I got a phone call from Tim Giebel, the fight choreographer, who would also be playing Mercutio. This is not verbatim, but it went about like this:
“How tall are you?”
“What hand are you?”
I didn’t know it at the time, but I had just had my first encounter with a member of the Society of American Fight Directors, or SAFD. That June, I would be challenged to move my body in strange and wonderful ways in order to seem to murder my new teacher with a rapier.
A divided nation. An American president deals with the death of his 11-year-old child. The First Lady seeks solace in séances and mediums. The year is not 1862, and the president is not Abraham Lincoln. Rather, The Residence tells the story of the eclipsed and tragic figure of Franklin Pierce, a caretaker president whose attempts to find a compromise to the slavery issue only drove his young nation closer to fratricide. It is equally the story of his haunted, occultist wife, a woman who wears the hair of two dead sons in a locket.
There is tragedy enough to mine in this story without invoking the supernatural, but Andrew Pyper, author of 2013’s excellent The Demonologist, is never a man to resist a whiff of brimstone.
- Ryan La Sala 17 Iconic Fashion Moments in SFF History 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Season 2 of Netflix’s Another Life 1 day ago
- Martin Cahill What Makes a Monster? The Complexities of No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull 1 day ago
- James Davis Nicoll 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 1 day ago
- Molly Templeton Time Travel Makes Everything Worse in the Teaser for Needle in a Timestack 1 day ago
- Andrew Liptak Watch the First Trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Nightmare Alley 1 day ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 1 day ago
- Preview Cytonic, Book 3 in Brandon Sanderson’s Skyward Series 4 seconds ago on
- 5 SF Stories in Which Kindness Prevails 6 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “The Void” 6 mins ago on
- Terry Pratchett Book Club: Witches Abroad, Part IV 10 mins ago on
- 17 Iconic Fashion Moments in SFF History 24 mins ago on
- I Sing the Body Electric: 5 SF Works About Sex and Technology 39 mins ago on
- Preview Cytonic, Book 3 in Brandon Sanderson’s Skyward Series 2 hours ago on