As climate change wreaks havoc on the earth and the fate of humanity grows dire, a scientist makes a plan to save humanity that would shame the devil.
Fiction and Excerpts 
We all do this sometimes—it’s a survival tactic and probably largely instinctual: if we move very slowly and pretend nothing is wrong and make no sudden moves maybe we’ll be able to conclude the conversation and get out the door before the insane person we’re talking to really flips out. Some of the stories and novels I love the most do this as well, with the characters either not responding or responding differently than you’d expect. At its best, what that does to you as a reader is make you wonder about your own sanity: if the characters see it as normal, shouldn’t you?
We (by which I guess I mean I, though I hope I’m not alone in this) have all been in relationships where years later we look back and don’t recognize our actions, can’t really understand why we were willing to go along with the other person’s ideas or behavior which, now that time has gone by, we recognize as delusional. Since humans are imitative animals, we often take our cues from the people around us. If you do that long enough with the wrong person, you enter into the sphere of their insanity in a way that makes you regard the insanity as the new normal.
Series: Five Books About…
- Tochi Onyebuchi White Bears in Sugar Land: Juneteenth, Cages, and Afrofuturism 22 hours ago
- Andrew Tejada Titans Season 3 Trailer Really Wants Jason Todd to See Red 23 hours ago
- Andrew Tejada Arrowverse Recap: This DC Universe Shines with a Strong Week of Stories 1 day ago
- Keith R.A. DeCandido Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Spirit Folk” 1 day ago
- Martin Cahill Life at the End of the World: The World Gives Way by Marissa Levien 1 day ago
- James Davis Nicoll Risky Business: Five Books About Interplanetary Trade 1 day ago
- Natalie Zutter The Handmaid’s Tale Season 4 Finale: Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum 1 day ago
- Why the Hell Are These Books Out of Print? 11 mins ago on
- Risky Business: Five Books About Interplanetary Trade 14 mins ago on
- Risky Business: Five Books About Interplanetary Trade 27 mins ago on
- Risky Business: Five Books About Interplanetary Trade 32 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Voyager Rewatch: “Spirit Folk” 33 mins ago on
- Is There a Queer Future Without Queerphobia? 39 mins ago on
- Celebrate Picard Day With a Teaser for the Next Season of Star Trek: Picard 1 hour ago on