When I was a child, I used to have recurring nightmares about the end of the world. I’m not sure I was particularly prescient; rather, I think it was a product of my being very young and impressionable during the height of millennial Y2K hysteria coupled with the more pressing anxiety of living in a home filled with alcoholism and domestic abuse. Whatever the cause, I dreamt about the apocalypse off and on for years—the dreams themselves ranging from a basic world-on-fire cliché to a much more original and disturbing vision of golden buzzsaws ceaselessly multiplying and slicing the world into oblivion.
The Queerness of Rand al’ThorBen Gierhart
I know what you’re thinking.
Rand al’Thor. Rand al’Thor who was promised to Egwene al’Vere? Rand al’Thor, of whom it was foretold that he would be shared (somewhat problematically) by three different women? Rand al’Thor who very much followed through on that prophecy? That Rand al’Thor? Yes, that’s the one.
While I’m not here to tell you that Rand is queer in either sexual orientation or identity, I still believe that there is an inherent queerness to him worthy of examination, and—at least for queer readers of the series—doing so can enrich the reading experience and highlight how, in most ways, Robert Jordan’s seminal fantasy series was ahead of its time in terms of visibility and accessibility. At least it was and is for me, and I’ll tell you why.
Note: There are some spoilers for The Wheel of Time beyond this point.
- Vanessa Armstrong Mike Flanagan’s Dark Tower Adaptation May Have Characters From Doctor Sleep 2 days ago
- Vanessa Armstrong Thumbs Up! Denzel Washington and Barry Keoghan Join Paul Mescal in Gladiator Sequel 2 days ago
- Molly Templeton A New Faces of Death Will Star Actors from Stranger Things and Euphoria 3 days ago
- Marion Deeds 5 Unconventional Fantasy Heists 3 days ago
- Molly Templeton Wait, Maybe Willow Isn’t Canceled? 3 days ago
- Emmet Asher-Perrin Terry Pratchett Book Club: The Last Hero, Part I 3 days ago
- Cole Rush Five Fantastical Musical Experiences You Can Find in the Real World 3 days ago
- Dingo on The Mandalorian Spends Some Time on Coruscant in “The Convert” 3 hours ago
- kefka on Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch: “Haven” 3 hours ago
- Jeremy Erman on Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch: “Unification, Part II” 4 hours ago
- garreth on Expect the Unexpected — Star Trek: Picard’s “Imposters” 4 hours ago
- kefka on Star Trek: The Next Generation Rewatch: “The Game” 4 hours ago
- Argentinian on The Wheel of Time Re-read: A Crown of Swords, Part 10 5 hours ago
- Argentinian on Reading The Wheel of Time: Everyone Wants a Piece of Mat in Robert Jordan’s A Crown of Swords (Part 10) 5 hours ago