There’s something about science fiction and fantasy that encourages collaboration. Whether it grew from the years when genre writing was relegated to the literary shadows, and authors came together to support each other, or it’s simply a tradition that found fertile ground here, collaboratively written novels abound in the genre.
We all know the story. First we create intelligent nonhuman life, then it kills us. It’s as old as Frankenstein (though admittedly Dr. Frankenstein’s monster didn’t actually kill him, it just murdered his brother and his fiancée; he died in the Arctic, seeking revenge. But nobody would argue it had a happy ending).
Take Terminator, for example. When the global computer network Skynet becomes self-aware, its first action is to trigger a nuclear war to try and wipe out humanity. In the TV series Battlestar Galactica, humans create sentient machines, and again, extermination is the default response. In Daniel H. Wilson’s novel Robopocalypse, Archos R-14, the powerful AI, becomes self-aware, and… you guessed it, immediately begins plotting the destruction of humankind.
What is it with us? Why do we keep making evil robots, against all the evidence that it’s a bad idea? Why is this such a compelling trope in the stories we tell ourselves about the future?
- Ruthanna Emrys and Anne M. Pillsworth Gardens at the End of the World: John Langan’s “The Shallows” 16 mins ago
- Sweepstakes Tor Mini Books Prize Pack Sweepstakes! 46 mins ago
- R.E. Stearns Barbary Station 1 hour ago
- Stubby the Rocket Come Listen To Infomocracy‘s Musical Genre of The Future, Gronkytonk! 2 hours ago
- Grady Hendrix The Great Stephen King Reread Final Analysis 2 hours ago
- Emily Asher-Perrin 5 Things That Obi-Wan Kenobi Should Have Told Luke Skywalker (Instead of LIES) 3 hours ago
- Tor.com Download a Free eBook of Lovecraftian Saga Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys 4 hours ago
- Sleeps With Monsters: My Year In Queer 2 mins ago on
- 5 Things That Obi-Wan Kenobi Should Have Told Luke Skywalker (Instead of LIES) 11 mins ago on
- 5 Things That Obi-Wan Kenobi Should Have Told Luke Skywalker (Instead of LIES) 15 mins ago on
- Not Just Another Fantasy Assassin: the Vlad Taltos Novels by Steven Brust 17 mins ago on
- 5 Things That Obi-Wan Kenobi Should Have Told Luke Skywalker (Instead of LIES) 18 mins ago on
- Meet the Valar! (And the Foundations of Middle-earth) 26 mins ago on
- Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson: Chapters 22-24 26 mins ago on