I didn’t decide to read the Lucifer graphic novels, written by Mike Carey and primarily drawn by Peter Gross, for their queerness, or for who became the true hero of the series for me (spoiler: Mazikeen). That was all a pleasant—unexpected, revolutionary—surprise for me as a late teen. I came to Lucifer because I had just split from the religion of my youth, Mormonism. A friend had told me how good the series was, and promptly after my first, knee-jerk reaction of “I can’t read something that stars the devil!”, I snatched them up. Why not, after all? It was a spin-off of Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman, which I was currently devouring, and I wasn’t Mormon anymore.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Everyone has a soul. Some are beautiful gardens, others are frightening dungeons. Soulwalkers―like Kamai and her mother―can journey into other people’s souls while they sleep.
But no matter where Kamai visits, she sees the black door. It follows her into every soul, and her mother has told her to never, ever open it.
When Kamai touches the door, it is warm and beating, like it has a pulse. When she puts her ear to it, she hears her own name whispered from the other side. And when tragedy strikes, Kamai does the unthinkable: she opens the door.
A.M. Strickland’s imaginative dark fantasy Beyond the Black Door publishes October 29th with Imprint. Read an excerpt below!
- Ruthanna Emrys and Anne M. Pillsworth A Language With Too Many “Awwww” Sounds: Vina Jie-Min Prasad’s “Black Flowers Blossom” 7 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Guinan’s Coming Back! Patrick Stewart Goes On The View To Invite Whoopi Goldberg Into Picard Season 2 8 hours ago
- K.M. Szpara Read Chapter Six of Docile by K. M. Szpara 8 hours ago
- Alvaro Zinos-Amaro Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Reread — The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One 9 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket Nearly Half of All Netflix Subscribers Tossed a Coin to Their Witcher 10 hours ago
- Stubby the Rocket All of The Wheel of Time Episode Titles Revealed Thus Far 11 hours ago
- Sean Guynes Introducing the Ursula K. Le Guin Reread 12 hours ago
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Reread — The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One 1 min ago on
- A New Trailer for Star Wars: The Clone Wars Teases a Monumental Finale 20 mins ago on
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Reread — The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One 29 mins ago on
- Nearly Half of All Netflix Subscribers Tossed a Coin to Their Witcher 38 mins ago on
- Epix Is Adapting Bernard Cornwell’s King Arthur Trilogy, The Warlord Chronicles 51 mins ago on
- Read Chapter Six of Docile by K. M. Szpara 1 hour ago on
- Nearly Half of All Netflix Subscribers Tossed a Coin to Their Witcher 1 hour ago on