I didn’t decide to read the Lucifer graphic novels, written by Mike Carey and primarily drawn by Peter Gross, for their queerness, or for who became the true hero of the series for me (spoiler: Mazikeen). That was all a pleasant—unexpected, revolutionary—surprise for me as a late teen. I came to Lucifer because I had just split from the religion of my youth, Mormonism. A friend had told me how good the series was, and promptly after my first, knee-jerk reaction of “I can’t read something that stars the devil!”, I snatched them up. Why not, after all? It was a spin-off of Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman, which I was currently devouring, and I wasn’t Mormon anymore.
Fiction and Excerpts 
Everyone has a soul. Some are beautiful gardens, others are frightening dungeons. Soulwalkers―like Kamai and her mother―can journey into other people’s souls while they sleep.
But no matter where Kamai visits, she sees the black door. It follows her into every soul, and her mother has told her to never, ever open it.
When Kamai touches the door, it is warm and beating, like it has a pulse. When she puts her ear to it, she hears her own name whispered from the other side. And when tragedy strikes, Kamai does the unthinkable: she opens the door.
A.M. Strickland’s imaginative dark fantasy Beyond the Black Door publishes October 29th with Imprint. Read an excerpt below!
- Anne M. Pillsworth and Ruthanna Emrys More Hungry Houses: Oliver Onions’ “The Beckoning Fair One” 18 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak A New Documentary Focuses on Hellboy Creator Mike Mignola 18 hours ago
- Jessica S. Olson Read an Excerpt From Sing Me Forgotten 19 hours ago
- Em Nordling Queer Romance and Political Intrigue in Winter’s Orbit by Everina Maxwell 20 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Hugh Grant and Sophia Lillis Join Dungeons & Dragons Film 21 hours ago
- Matt Mikalatos C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves, and The Magician’s Nephew 22 hours ago
- Andrew Liptak Gore Verbinski to Direct Adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s Sandkings 22 hours ago
- Five Fascinating Twists on Cosmic Horror 10 mins ago on
- Reading The Wheel of Time: Birgitte Is in the Limelight in Robert Jordan’s The Fires of Heaven (Part 21) 2 hours ago on
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Far Beyond the Stars” 2 hours ago on
- Five Fascinating Twists on Cosmic Horror 5 hours ago on
- A New Documentary Focuses on Hellboy Creator Mike Mignola 7 hours ago on
- Hexagrammaton 7 hours ago on
- Queer Romance and Political Intrigue in Winter’s Orbit by Everina Maxwell 8 hours ago on