The project that used to be called Guillermo del Toro Presents 10 After Midnight is now Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities—and the Netflix anthology series is stuffed to the gills with promising stories, actors, and directors. The eight-episode series is currently in production, and the writers and directors were all selected by del Toro himself.
Read on for the lineup!
- Jennifer Kent (The Babadook) writes and directs an episode based on an original story by del Toro, featuring her Babadook star Essie Davis, The Walking Dead‘s Andrew Lincoln, and Hannah Galway (Sex/Life).
- David Prior directs an episode written by David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight) and based on a short story by Michael Shea, starring F. Murray Abraham (Mythic Quest), Glynn Turman (Fargo) and Luke Roberts (Game of Thrones).
- Another original del Toro story will be adapted by writer Regina Corrado (Deadwood) and directed by Guillermo Navarro (Hannibal), with Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen), Elpidia Carrillo (Euphoria), Demetrius Grosse (Lovecraft Country) and Sebastian Roché (Debris).
- The incredible pairing of Crispin Glover (American Gods) and Ben Barnes (Shadow and Bone) star in an episode based on an H.P. Lovecraft story, adapted by Lee Patterson (Colony) and directed by Keith Thomas (Firestarter).
- Panos Cosmatos (Beyond the Black Rainbow) directs Peter Weller (RoboCop) in an episode co-written by Cosmatos and Aaron Stewart-Ahn (Mandy).
- Another Lovecraft story is the basis for an episode written by Mika Watkins (Origin) and directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight). The cast has not yet been announced for this one.
- Vincenzo Natali (Hannibal) writes and directs an episode based on a short story by Henry Kuttner, starring David Hewlett (The Shape of Water).
- And last but certainly not least, Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night) directs an episode written by Haley Z. Boston (Brand New Cherry Flavor) and based on a story by writer/artist Emily Carroll (Through the Woods). This cast has also not yet been announced.
It’s a bit odd that the specific stories that serve as the basis for some episodes have not been named, but perhaps the filmmakers want to be mysterious. Netflix did a nifty Twitter thread featuring the stars and behind-the-scenes talent, which you can see here:
Essie Davis, Andrew Lincoln and Hannah Galway star in an episode written and directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook; The Nightingale), based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro. pic.twitter.com/RtOAvEDPan
— Netflix Geeked (@NetflixGeeked) September 2, 2021
No release date has been announced.