Position Description: The short fiction coordinator will work with Tor.com’s Publisher and a Macmillan Digital Product Manager to manage the production of original short stories and novelettes. They will also coordinate the production of the Tor.com short fiction newsletter, a bimonthly compilation of short fiction. A part-time, in-house commitment of about 20 hours a week, this is primarily a managing editorial position that will involve coordinating between both in-house and consulting editors and website production to manage the schedules of both art and text assets. An ideal candidate will have exceptional attention to detail, superb follow-through, excellent email communication skills, and take joy in managing systems and wrangling assets. Experience with the Google Business Suite preferred. Experience with WordPress a bonus. This position will be an employee of Headway Workforce Solutions.
- Work with in-house and consulting editors at Tor.com and Tom Doherty Associates in coordinating the submission and acquisition of original science fiction and fantasy short fiction alongside select reprints.
- Generate, manage, and follow up on contracts and payments for Tor.com short fiction
- Manage schedules for both art and text, coordinating with acquiring editors, Tor.com’s Creative Director, and a Digital Product Manager in ensuring that short stories are contracted, copy-edited, illustrated, and published both online and to retailers in a timely fashion
- Work with Digital Product Manager in updating and maintaining a weekly status grid of short fiction production
- Compile and create Tor.com’s bimonthly short fiction newsletter, which offers a download of two months’ worth of short stories to subscribers
- Promote Tor.com short fiction on social media
- Assisting Tor.com Publisher in coordinating ad hoc digital production projects as needed
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to ruoxi [dot] chen [at] tor.com with the subject line: “Short Fiction Coordinator Candidate”