When the Walt Disney Company recently announced that the next Star Wars films would be released starting in 2022, it was unclear if the movies to follow The Rise of Skywalker would come from The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson or Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. (Both projects had previously been announced.) Today, while speaking at the MoffetNathanson Media & Communications summit, chairman Bob Iger confirmed that the next Star Wars film would be the latter project.
According to io9, Iger said, “We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie that we release will be theirs. And we’re not saying anything more about that.” Note that he said “movie” and not “trilogy,” so it could be that all three untitled Star Wars films are standalones, or that the start of another trilogy could take one of those other dates.
While there will be a three-year break between The Rise of Skywalker and this new project’s release, discussions are already taking place, Iger said: “[We thought] it would be smart for us to take a bit of a hiatus while we figure out what’s next. Now, we’re not going to wait until [Episode 9] is released and start figuring it out, we’re actually hard at work doing that already. The conclusion that we reached was that three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but to really gear up for the next film’s release.”
As of right now, Benioff and Weiss’ Star Wars film will be released December 16, 2022. The next two Star Wars films will follow December 12, 2024 and December 18, 2026.
Photo: Gage Skidmore (CC BY-SA 2.0)