The photograph above is a picture of Hugo Gernsback the sometimes-called father of science fiction. Well, he did sort of name the genre and the Hugo Award is named for him. This image, which heralds from the Syracuse University Libraries, Special Collections Research Center is part of a fascinating article about Gernsback on The New York Review of Books.
This morning we’re all about books clubs, inspirational jellyfish, and February reads!
- io9 wants to get their hands on all the great SFF books coming out in February!
- And here are The Verge’s picks for February books!
- Emma Lee Gough has a list of her favorite books from 2016, if you’re still looking to complete the ultimate ’16 list.
- The Innkeeper Chronicles: Volume One is coming from Subterranean Press.
- Buzzfeed partnered with New York City Commissioner to participate in One Book, One New York. Check out their book picks and read along! And vote for your favorite on the list!
- Wired Book Club is talking to Nnedi Okorafor about inspiration and Binti….
- Carrie Vaughn has an interview up over on Unbound Worlds, talking about her book Martians Abroad.
- Here is Roxane Gay’s opening keynote speech from the Winter Institute, talking about bookselling and diversity.