Yesterday’s Google doodle featured the genius polymath Jagdish Chandra Bose who, along with a multitude of other talents, was one of the world’s first science fiction writers. (His SF story “Nirrudeshar Kahini” anticipated the “butterfly effect” popularized by chaos theory.) Learn more about him over on Mic.com!
Also, we have to discuss what fictional items we wish we could put on our holiday gift-giving lists. Among other things.
- It looks like 2017 is going to be a great year for seeing POC characters in Young Adult fiction, at least if the covers are anything to go by.
- Marisha Pessl interviews the Welcome to Night Vale creators and asks them about their greatest fears and favorite conspiracy theories….
- A book trailer for Scythe by Neal Shusterman!
- Mike Resnick talks about the changing definitions of “science fiction” over the years, and how no one has every truly agreed on the subject.
- Jeff VanderMeer is starting a book club! The lovely cat below will be selecting the books! Okay fine, it was a Twitter joke, but we would actually read books selected by this cat, no matter how odd the selection process was.
- Just a list of fictional presents that we want to show up in our IRL stockings. No big deal.
- Mary Robinette Kowal wants you to know that therapy is not a sign of weakness, and that she is proud of you for going.
- We love the person running the Merriam-Webster Twitter account. And now LitHub is feeding our love by providing a profile of them. (It includes dictionary fanart!)
- The Penguin Random House blog has a new addition to their Life of A Book series, all about cover and interior book design.