Turns out you can judge a book by its cover. Well, at least about 20 percent of the time. Two data scientists at Japan’s Kyushu University have trained an algorithm to (try and) recognize genre based on thousands of book covers. Plus, the best book podcasts and a lightning-fast Lightbringer catchup (with illustrations!) in this morning’s publishing culture roundup.
- The Saga of Recluce might not be a series after all? We’re listening, L.E. Modesitt, Jr…
- We’re also perking up our ears for the 10 best book podcasts.
- The wildly popular Draw My Life channel on YouTube tackles the biography of The Boy Who Lived in rapid-fire drawings:
- Ilana C. Myer talks Fire Dance, the sequel to Last Song Before Night.
- Whether The Chemical Wedding is the first science fiction novel is still up for debate, but what we do know is that there’s a snazzy new edition of the novel.
- Can’t keep the Brothers Guile straight? Brent Weeks comes to the rescue with a (very spoilery) 70-second catchup on the Lightbringer series: