And the answer is WEIRD and just raises more questions. Are you ready to know?
BIG SPOILERS AHEAD. But first, some bits and pieces about the movie that James Gunn and the cast revealed during the Marvel Studios panel at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con:
- After Xandar, Star-Lord is now famous and trying to dodge the attention.
- Groot is now intellectually a child and learning anew how to face the cosmos.
- Drax is still learning what metaphors are.
- Yondu is a little more forgiving.
- Gamora is the only one who can get the Guardians to stop fighting each other, which they do a lot.
- Nebula has hair in the sequel, which Karen Gillan likes because now she doesn’t look like “a really long baby”.
- “Come a Little Bit Closer” by Jay and the Americans is one of the songs on the second mix tape.
- As is “The Chain” by Fleetwood Mac.
- The new character Ayesha leads group called The Sovereign, which hires the Guardians for a job then turns on them after that job goes sour.
- New character Mantis has empathic powers and spent her life with Kurt Russell’s character before meeting the Guardians.
- When Rocket takes offense at being called a “raccoon”, Star-Lord responds by calling him a Trash Panda. Trash Panda.
Speaking of Kurt Russell, he plays:
Ego, the Living Planet! Which is also Star-Lord’s father according to Marvel’s Ryan Pentagos.
How does a planet mate with a human woman and have a Star-Lord? Guess we’ll find out! In case you don’t know what Ego looks like in the comics, here you go:
Classic Kurt Russell.
Here’s the video of the panel – the only thing missing is the trailer and clip! We’ll share those as soon as we get them.
For now, James Gunn reveals even MORE details about the forthcoming film over on his Facebook. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is out on May 5, 2017.