It’s that time of year again—shake off the winter blues with a good old-fashioned Cage Match. For their sixth annual sci-fi/fantasy character face-off, the folks at Suvudu are matching “the glory, the grandeur, and the gore” of last year’s well-received Women Warriors Cage Match with… Dynamic Duos!
Suvudu teased this year’s Cage Match a few weeks ago, including the unprecedented decision to double the number of participants:
64 characters in 32 slots—it’s Cage Match 2016: Dynamic Duos! We’re featuring your favorite character pairings—romantic, platonic, familial, and, well, otherwise—and pitting duo against duo. Think Jekyll and Hyde vs. Sherlock and Watson, only much, much nerdier.
Those two classic pairs did not make it into this year’s bracket, because there were so many other fantastic partnerships to tap: The Wheel of Time’s Mat Cauthon & Tuon Paendrag, Good Omens‘ Crowley & Aziraphale, Agnieszka & Sarkan (from Naomi Novik’s Uprooted), Jaime Lannister & Brienne of Tarth, The Man & The Boy (Cormac McCarthy’s The Road)… even Scylla & Charybdis, Odysseus’ fearsome sabotagers from Homer’s The Odyssey. Lady, knight, lady-knight, elf, dwarf, wizard, dæmon, mouse, wolf, fanged whirlpool—they’re all represented here.
Bonus: Some of your favorite Tor authors get to pit these dynamic duos against one another! You’ve got…
- Mary Robinette Kowal writing Mat Cauthon & Tuen Paendrag (Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time) vs. Lilith Iyapo & Nikanj (Octavia Butler’s Xenogenesis)
- Ilana C. Myer writing FitzChivalry Farseer & Nighteyes (Robin Hobb’s Farseer Trilogy) vs. Prince Caspian & Reepicheep (C.S. Lewis’ Narnia series)
- Fran Wilde writing Agnieszka & Sarkan (Naomi Novik’s Uprooted) vs. Fisk & Shoe (John Hornor Jacobs’ Foreign Devils)
- Max Gladstone writing Legolas & Gimli (J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings) vs. Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw (Isaac Asimov’s Robot series)
- Tina Connolly writing Scylla & Charybdis (Homer’s The Odyssey) vs. Sophie Hatter & Howl Pendragon (Diana Wynne Jones’ Howl’s Moving Castle)
- Tor.com irregular Ryan Britt writing Kahlan Amnell & Richard Rahl (Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth) vs. Zeb & Toby (Margaret Atwood’s Year of the Flood)
Do you trust these writers to bring your favorite pair to victory? Choose your sides, cheer them on, and get into the Cage Match spirit with this Spotify playlist made just for this occasion:
Round 1 matches open on Monday, March 7! Keep track of everything here.