Can we bring back miniature movie sets? In the pre-CGI days, this was how you made incredibly nuanced settings, that look completely authentic until, you know, a normal-size human wanders in. The Musée Miniature & Cinéma in Lyon, France, collects over 100 of these sets, plus over 300 full-scale movie props. We have a particular fondness for this recreation of a hall of dinosaurs, because look how detailed they are! (via MentalFloss)
Afternoon Roundup brings you a review of the Welcome to Night Vale book, a real-life Mjolnir, and a case of too many cooks in too many franchises!
- The problems arising from “writers’ rooms” on movie franchises like Star Wars and Transformers.
- This is what it’s like to read a book that is a podcast.
- Come 2020, Godzilla and King Kong will do battle not with each other, but with all of the superhero movie franchises.
- Kameron Hurley tells you exactly why you should be reading Kushiel’s Dart, The Fifth Season, and more.
- Here’s at least one hairstyle you’ll have trouble finding in video game character creation.
- Why all the adults you know have started coloring again… and, perfect timing, new Game of Thrones and Outlander coloring books!
- Wonder Woman gets a new origin story for Batman v Superman.
- How has Hot Topic not already had a Nightmare Before Christmas-themed clothing line?
- Someone took Tony Stark’s comment about thumbprint scanners to heart: