Don’t want to stand in line for the new iPhone? Have a robot do it for you! California-based company Double Robotics is catering to this unique need with robots like Lucy, an iPad attached to a Segway that allows a human to be “telepresent”—that is, able to wait for the store to open and interact with the Apple Geniuses from the comfort of his/her own living room. Media agency Atomic 212 sourced a few robots so they could do just that. So, has Surrogates predicted our fate? For the time being, we are the overlords… until the robots decide to stop standing in line for us and go take over the world.
Afternoon Roundup brings you the only possible Christmas plan you can make this year, a guide to finding your place within an evil empire, and Banned Books Week swag!
- Celebrate Banned Books Week in style!
- So much Harry Potter news out the wazoo! You can now have Christmas dinner in Hogwarts’ Great Hall; Lavender Brown might not be dead; and Mara Wilson imagines Matilda’s time at Hogwarts.
- How the discovery of water on Mars creates plot holes in The Martian.
- Hankering for a new AI story? C.A. Higgins’ debut Lightless is already getting glowing praise.
- Seth Dickinson wrote a game to tell you where you would live in Baru Cormorant’s world!
- A genius indeed: MacArthur Genius Grant recipient Peidong Yang created artificial leaves that photosynthesize.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is laying the groundwork for Captain America: Civil War.
- Simon Pegg is glad to co-write Star Trek, but not to direct it.
Lemony SnicketDaniel Handler donates a million dollars to Planned Parenthood.
- It’s Wednesday, and this mashup of 100 movie dance scenes set to “Uptown Funk” includes at least two genre offerings (Back to the Future III and Shaun of the Dead), so have at it!