Tor Books is storming New York Comic-Con! The big news this year is that the “Tor: The Next Generation!” stage from BEA has been picked up for a panel, so we can introduce you to a great new group of debut Tor authors. As always, Tor Books will be at Booth #2223, offering you a chance to meet your favorite authors and pick up free books. We’ve got a great line up with appearances by John Scalzi, Catherynne M. Valente, Charlie Jane Anders, and more!
Read on for the full schedule!
Thursday, October 8th
- 12:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: John Scalzi, author of The End of All Things.
- 1:30pm—2:30pm Tor: The Next Generation!, Room 1A18
Tor Books celebrates 35 years of publishing quality science fiction and fantasy by some of the biggest names in genre today! But even Orson Scott Card and Brandon Sanderson were once unknowns. Meet 2015’s new authors and see what makes them tick in a game of “Would You Rather?” with host John Scalzi (The End of All Things) and featuring Ilana C. Myer (Last Song Before Night), Seth Dickinson (The Traitor Baru Cormorant), Lawrence M. Schoen (Barsk: The Elephant’s Graveyard) and Fran Wilde (Updraft).
- 2:45pm—Tor: The Next Generation! panel signing, Bookstore Hall 1-B
- 2:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: David Mack, author of 24: Rogue.
- 5:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Fran Wilde, author of Updraft, and Lawrence M. Schoen author of Barsk: The Elephant’s Graveyard, in a joint signing.
Friday, October 9th
- 12:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Ilana Myer, author of Last Song Before Night.
- 2:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Ian McDonald, author of Luna: New Moon.
- 5:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Seth Dickinson, author of The Traitor Baru Cormorant.
- 5:15pm—Science in Fiction, Room 1B03
Look at something like The Martian vs. The Fold vs. Marvel’s Iron Man movies. Is hard science always a good thing? Authors discuss the pros and cons, and the sometimes slippery slope, of including hard science in a work of fiction—especially in a paradigm era of technological development. Peter Clines moderates, with panelists: A.G. Riddle, Mindy McGinnis, Robin Wasserman, Ian McDonald, and Barry Lyga.
- 6:45pm—Science in Fiction panel signing, Bookstore Hall 1-B
Saturday, October 10th
- 12:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Peter Orullian, author of Trial of Intentions.
- 1:30pm—Masters of Unreality: Heavy Metal and SFF, Room 1A18
It’s well known that heavy metal songs have been based on fantasy novels but it can be argued that it’s also the perfect soundtrack to any battle scene, whether deep in the forest or in deep space. Authors Myke Cole, Michael Fletcher and Peter Orullian are not just talented writers, but they’ve all been in metal bands! Join them along with James Dashner and moderator Tricia Narwani of Del Rey as they discuss what they listen to as they write epic scenes, seminal albums, and how the two media cross-reference each other.
- 1:45pm—Masters of Unreality: Heavy Metal and SFF panel signing, Location TBD
- 2:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Charlie Jane Anders, author of All the Birds in the Sky.
- 4:00pm—Books to Movies Wishlist, Room A101
The Martian. Foundation. American Gods. Redshirts. So many iconic SFF novels are finally making it to the big screen! But what’s on the wish list of this panel of bestselling speculative fiction superstars? They all agree that the obvious franchises have been done already—and now, they want to discuss with NYCC attendees what lesser-know/cult fave titles should invade theaters and march into cable programming! Join us for a nerdy-fun discussion about which science fiction and fantasy must-reads would really make celluloid magic! Michael Underwood hosts the panel featuring Christopher Golden, Chuck Wendig, Jennifer Armentrout, and Charlie Jane Anders.
- 5:15pm—Books to Movies Wishlist panel signing, Bookstore Hall 1-B
- 5:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Catherynne M. Valente, author of Radiance.
Sunday, October 11th
- 12:00pm—Tor Booth Signing: Michael Swanwick, author of Chasing the Phoenix.
1:30pm—Get Out of Your Chair and Off the Planet! Room A101
Whether it’s satisfying readers’ desires for interstellar armchair travel or sparking ambitions for SF fans to pursue extra-terrestrial encounters in actuality, science fiction is the fiction of the imagination and inspiration. Authors Michael Swanwick, Jay Allen, Cat Valente, Judd Winnick, CH Higgin stake readers to the final frontier … and beyond. Moderated by Maryelizabeth Hart.
- 2:45pm—Get Out of Your Chair and Off the Planet! panel signing, Bookstore Hall 1-B