No surprise, Mad Max: Fury Road has inspired all manner of cosplay; but this one, from DragonCon, is especially emotional. You might remember Laura Vaughn, a left-arm transradial amputee who posted about why Imperator Furiosa was an utterly perfect character to her. Since her Tumblr post went viral, she’s cosplayed as Furiosa at various cons—and then she met Michelle Sleeper, who makes replica props. Sleeper’s original plan had been to build a T-800 Endo Arm as a real prosthetic, but once she met Vaughn, what could they do but recreate Furiosa’s prosthetic arm? You can read the whole saga on the Replica Props Forum (via io9), which culminates in photos like this one Norman Chan snapped of Vaughn at DragonCon. (Also check out Chan’s entire DragonCon cosplay gallery!)
Afternoon Roundup brings you the news (if not the synopsis) of a new Christopher Nolan film, another look into the depths of Black Mirror, and a wonderful Star Trek tribute!
- Rumor has it Netflix is bringing us new episodes of Black Mirror!
- The National Air and Space Museum is sending the USS Enterprise back in time.
- Why Kushiel’s Dart should make the leap to television.
- Let N.K. Jemisin teach you how to world-build in 60 minutes or less!
- Given that he’s worked with memory, dreams, magicians, Batman, and black holes… yeah, we have no idea what Nolan’s planning in 2017.
- Get your ticket to the zombie apocalypse!
- Chuck Wendig addresses the controversy around Star Wars: Aftermath.
- A celebration of Czech writer and inventor of the word “robot” Karel Čapek!
- Red Skull references Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and other hidden messages in popular movies: