The mapping of Pluto and Charon continues, and it’s geekier than ever! Invoking the dark gods was one thing, but now the OurPluto naming campaign has expanded to fit countless geeky references into the surface terrain of both Pluto and its moon. Craters named for Ripley, Leia, Skywalkers, Spock, Sulu! Chasmas tipping their hats to Nostromo, Serenity, the TARDIS! Ah, what a world we live in. io9 has an extensive rundown of the namesakes of all of these spots, and you can feast your eyes on hi-res maps at the OurPluto website.
Afternoon Roundup brings you comic art so good it doesn’t need words, the writer/reader contract, and a shocking suggestion for spy movie storytelling!
- Check out the cool map of the Stillness for N.K. Jemisin’s The Fifth Season!
- A night at London’s Harry Potter hotel, told entirely in Snapchats.
- Ancillary Justice is more about personhood than gender, and other misunderstood SFF novels.
- Aww, don’t be mean to Bill Nye!
- Tyrese Gibson isn’t the only one who wants to play John Stewart…
- Aaand splash page.
- Ian McShane and Max von Sydow join Game of Thrones!
- Sherwood Smith asks, “Is contract another word for trust?”
- What the Mission: Impossible series gets right that other franchises stumble over.
- The “Final Girl” jokes never end…
- What happens after you’re in isolation for 10 days? Let the crew of The Martian tell you: