With its Ant-Man advertising, Marvel had to be careful to toe the line between cutesy/clever and groanworthy. Case in point, the tiny Ant-Man billboards that popped up randomly everywhere. But this bit of viral advertising out in the wild is so wonderfully specific—and not immediately apparent—that we have to tip tiny hats to the marketing team. Our thought process basically reflects this tweet: “Did a car knock over this??” *takes a closer look* “WAIT WHAT”
Afternoon Roundup brings you the perfect ass-kicking, horse-picking-up superheroine; The Force Awakens‘ Finn back when he was defending against a whole other crop of aliens; and a tongue-in-cheek movement against bald baddies.
- Clearly the next I, Frankenstein needs to be Pippi Longstalking: Crimson Justice.
- And while we’re getting all nostalgic, let’s revisit current Stormtrooper hero John Boyega in Attack the Block.
- “All the Birds in the Sky is like a Wes Anderson film captured and put to paper.”
- Margot Robbie’s stunt double goofs and gives away some of Harley Quinn’s backstory in Suicide Squad.
- While Sebastian Stan has some thoughts on the Ant-Man post-credits scene.
- The plight of bald men who see the Lex Luthors and War Boys outnumber Jean-Luc Picards in pop culture.
- N.K. Jemisin on why epic fantasy should be neither monochromatic nor monocultural.
- How Fresh Romance continues to subvert notions of female sexuality in comics.
- What if Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben were shot by police instead of a burglar?
- Bells, swords, and some of Game of Thrones‘ NSFW elements make for an interesting remix: