Do you have a prescheduled annual meeting with a nemesis to settle your moral quandaries through the beautiful art of chess? Or perhaps you need to cheat death again, to win a few increasingly desperate days of precious life? Why not use a Thanos chess piece to checkmate the Grim Reaper! The DC and Marvel chess pieces from Eaglemoss will allow you to take an already nerdy occupation to new and magnificent heights. [Chess set image via Toyland!]
Morning Roundup welcomes its U.S.-based readers into what is hopefully a wonderful long weekend. It is the true beginning of summer, and the next crest in the glorious wave of summer movie season. We bring you the Mad Max meme you’ve been waiting for, reading suggestions for the SF-challenged, and HATEBEAK.
- The inevitable Feminist Mad Max meme is a thing of beauty. And on the topic of Max, here’s an illustrated guide to the Four People You Meet in A Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland.
- HATEBEAK. The death metal band with beautiful plumage.
- Brad Bird shares his thoughts on The Force Awakens!
- Having saved San Francisco, Batkid is getting his own documentary! Here’s the trailer for Batkid Begins. Spoiler alert: you’ll probably cry.
- Have any non-SFF-reading friends you need to convert? io9 shares nine science fiction novels for people who need recommendations!
- Are we in a new golden age of big-ass novels?
- Octopi can see with their skin! Kind of.
- And now Miley Cyrus, dressed as a unicorn, singing a ballad for her deceased blowfish. This is actually really touching, and is being presented without irony.